Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #1 
MsGita

Best siphon for Fluval Edge

I'm looking for some advice on siphons/gravel vacuums, especially if you own a Fluval Edge. I have a basic Aqueon siphon but can not get it to work. Now I have never been good at using these things before but it's even harder with this tank. Has anyone used the Fluval brand siphon? Or any kind of siphon that is easier to get the flow going?

I've even watched videos on how to use a siphon and still can't get it. I'm getting frustrated!
MsGita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #2 
lelei

Join the club, I have the Aqueon, and I hate it too, thought it was just me, cannot get it to work either, and I tried (sucking on it first) practiced with clean water first, before putting it in the tank...only a lil water comes out, very little, and it picks up the gravel and moves it around, but idk if it's being cleaned..I been recently lookin on Amazon for a better one..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #3 
Micho

I have a Fluval Edge and the siphon that was made for the Fluval Edge, it's okay. With the siphon I just suck hose to get the flow going, the hose has to be going downwards because the force of gravity will help, the suction enough won't do it.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #4 
michbelle

I got a siphon for like a dollar at petsmart and at first I was so angry that I couldn't use it. I watched a video on youtube after searching "How to siphon a fish tank" It was by capeskatekid or katescapekid something or other.

Now that I regularly siphon my tanks I have learned a couple of tips. First get your bucket and put it lower than your tank. Mine are all on the fourth shelf of a book shelf, and I hold the bucket as close to the ground as possible.

Hold your finger over the end of the tubing (while holding it over the bucket) The end in the aquarium you submerge, take it out after filling it with water then remove your finger from the tubing end and as the water pours down quickly re submerge it and it should get a good vacuum action going on. Mine is a marine land siphon.

Trick is to keep them at separate levels, preferably the end that is going into the bucket/container you empty the water into should be lower than where your tank is.

Well this works for me. c: Good luck.
michbelle is offline   Reply With Quote