Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #1 
PhilsFriend

My Betta is better, but not all the way

My Betta fish Phil is sick. I noticed last week that he wasn't eating, was being lethargic, and looking rather grey. He also had some cottony white stuff around his gills and on one fin.

At the recommendation of a man at the store where I originally bought him, I started him on Betta Revive, which is essentially Methylene Blue.
It's worked rather well so far, he's eating again, and much more active, and even has some color.

But the problem is that even though he's better, he still has a patch of white on his gill, which is still a bit swollen (though it's gone down a bit) It's large (takes up most of the side of his face) and indented like a sore. I think it might go away after more treatment, but you're only supposed to use betta-revive for 7 days, and there's only one day left, and that white patch definitely won't have disappeared by then.

Can anyone recommend a product to continue treatment? I don't want the infection (I think it is fungal, but I don't have much experience with this) to start coming back since it's not completely gone.
Alternately, does anyone know if methylene blue is safe to continue using, if there has been notable improvement over the course of the treatment?

I would appreciate any help I can get, this is my first post here!
PhilsFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

betta revive won't work for columnaris which he has.

Keep the temperature 74-76 degrees NO HIGHER.

Aquarium salt, if you have it, PRE-DISSOLVE then add (about 3 teaspoons per gallon). If the tank is filtered I suggest throwing the filter media out sadly.

This disease is VERY contagious, so clean EVERYTHING with hot water and vinegar mix (equal amounts). Any fabric or silk plants, just hot water, and real plants just tap water.

Methylene blue is the better version of betta revive. Revive is the watered down version.

Some people use copper safe? But I have no experience with it. I used aquarium salt for my females when they contracted columnaris from accidental cross contamination which is why I stress to clean EVERYTHING. even if he is the only betta, clean everything!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

To get rid of columnaris on our goldfish, we used AQ salt in the water at one tsp per gallon and very clean water. It's definitely a start.

Sena has given you great advice. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

thanks Bomba helps I've had to fight it myself!! AQ salt does work, especially if you are short on cash as it is generally cheap, and if you cannot find some of the extreme stuff.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #5 
PhilsFriend

thanks

Thanks, we're trying aquarium salt now, do you know how long it takes before we start seeing some progress? (we're very worried about him).

I assume we should continue doing the daily water changes as well?
PhilsFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

10 days is the norm for length. It can take that long to clear!! Keep the tempeature low, at 74-76 (I used NO heater), daily water changes, and the salt. My one female never recovered from it, and she was like it for almost 2 months... The others recovered within 2 weeks total.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

I would suggest leaving a heater in to maintain stability of temperature, at least.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #8 
Sena Hansler

I happened to use a gallon tank, so a heater was out of the question :) even if you do use a heater set it low...

Tags
disease, question