Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #1 
Rexi

Starting a new tank!

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum (Any Betta forum really) and I had a few questions.
I have a 5 Gallon Hex aquarium.
From what I've read, a 5 gallon tank is good for a betta, right? I want to make sure before I get the tank all set up and everything.
(I bought this used from a garage sale. So I'm going to clean it up real good and make sure everything is up and running before I do anything of course.)
As for my questions;
Would it be okay to put 2 African dwarf frog's in with a better? (I'm not sure if I'm going to get male or female yet. Does it matter genderwise with the frogs?)
What about snails? What kind of snails would live good in my 5 gallon tank, and with a betta? Does it also matter with genders for snails?

And what about live plants? I know live plants are best, but are there certain kinds? I've never had live plants, so I'm totally new to this part.
Any tips for setting up the plants? Or should I just get fake plants, since I'm totally unsure how to do this. (I know no plastic, since that can harm the betta.)

I think this is all.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Rexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #2 
Sheldon31

Would it be okay to put 2 African dwarf frog's in with a better? (I'm not sure if I'm going to get male or female yet. Does it matter genderwise with the frogs?) ADFs and Bettas have been known to live well together, however, it is down to the personality of the betta. Some betta's are great with others while some, not so much. I don't think it matters genderwise. Make sure you do get ADFs and not the very similar Clawed frog. ADFs have webbed front feet while clawed don't.

What about snails? What kind of snails would live good in my 5 gallon tank, and with a betta? Does it also matter with genders for snails? Again, snails are very good tank mates. Some snails breed very quickly because they are hermaphrodites. Pond snails, ramshorn etc. These are often pest snails. Nerite snails are nice and don't breed so well, you could have a couple of those.

And what about live plants? I know live plants are best, but are there certain kinds? I've never had live plants, so I'm totally new to this part.

Any tips for setting up the plants? Or should I just get fake plants, since I'm totally unsure how to do this. (I know no plastic, since that can harm the betta.) Live plants are very rewarding! They are safer for betta fins and some are ammonia suckers! There is an excellent plant guide sticky written by Mo at the top of this catagory. Silk plants make good substitutes.

Good luck! Have fun! and make sure you post pics when you get your new friend :D
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

Sheldon's given you some good advice. :)

I wouldn't suggest ADFs for your tank, though - you'd only be able to get one for a 5 gallon with a betta. I'm also not sure how well they'd cope with a hexy, as they are weak swimmers and need shallow tanks. A standard rectangular tank would be better. :) Have a look at the Petco 6.6 gal bookshelf - that would be great for a betta and 1-2 ADFs. :)

When you go to look for live plants, remember to take Mo's guide with you so you don't grab semi-aquatic plants by accident! Sneaky petshops often sell semi-aquatic plants as full aquatics. Semis will die when kept underwater.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote