Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #11 
copperarabian

you can use Indian almond leaves and tannins from driftwood to make your water softer.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #12 
PhilipPhish

How do I get those kinds of things?

I can't order things off the internet because my mom won't let me...
PhilipPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #13 
Bombalurina

Local petshops may sell Malaysian driftwood. Here it is almost always sold with plants attached. Malaysian is the dark stuff.

Your local council should be able to tell you the hardness and pH of your water. :) I got my information from my water authority website, then confirmed it with my test kit.

It is pretty important. Although it isn't going to instantly kill your fish, keeping soft water fish in hard water and vice versa will cause problems with their internal organs and shorten their lifespans. For instance, I can't keep livebearers unless they are locally bred in local water, or add coral to my water to harden it, because it is super soft.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #14 
PhilipPhish

I see... do you think my water hardness could be the reason why my one female betta got swim bladder?

I will definitely try to get my water hardness figured out.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #15 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Bettas usually don't mind how hard their water is - they are pretty hardy. It's more fragile fish like tetras that you need to worry about more.

Isn't a 30 gallon a bit small for a common pleco?
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #16 
PhilipPhish

Goliath (my female pleco) has been living in it for about 8 years.... she won't be getting any bigger than the tank allows her to. She is quite content and is doing rather well.

I went to the petstore with about 20 dollars and came back with 2... I am now in possession of a new Sailfin Molly and another cory cat.

I plan on buying a few more sailfin mollies as soon as I get rid of my swords and/or get paid again.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #17 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

You do realize it's considered cruel by myself and probably most people on here stunting a fish's internal organs as the organs grow and the body doesn't due to not "getting any bigger than the tank allows her to."
Why don't you just rehome her? It can be hard but it's not impossible.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #18 
PhilipPhish

My pleco is fine. I don't have any where to put her, I don't know anyone who has room for her, and there is no way my pet stores would take her. its way to hard to sell a giant pleco... and there is absolutely no way I'd ever send her to a different home.

So far, none of my questions have been answered... I'm getting very disappointed.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #19 
Micho

That's because you haven't given us your water hardness and pH levels. :l

Sorry but without that information we can't really give you any species of fish that would thrive in your tank. We'd be giving bad and careless advice, if your water was very hard and very basic the chances of tetras surviving in the tank is slim, or if they did survive but they'd be unhappy because tetras like soft and acidic water and thrive in those conditions.

So unless you can provide us with those results we can't really advise you on what species of fish you can add to the tank. Water hardness can be easily found by via Googling your town/city and finding a written report on the city's water levels. pH strips are cheap and easily found in pet stores, so you won't have to spend a lot of money on them.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #20 
Bombalurina

We can't give you better advice until we know what your water hardness and pH are.

Olympia is right about the pleco. Fish do not grow to the size of their tank out of choice - ammonia stunts their growth and can cause permanent damage to their internal organs, massively reducing their lifespan. It really would be in your pleco's best interests to rehome her so she can grow to her full length of 18+ inches.
Put an add out on local classifieds. Serious aquarists with monster tanks are generally quite happy to take on big fish like that.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote