Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #1 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Care and feeding of nitrosomonas et al

I have a freshly cycled 5gal tank. Do to the proverbial unforeseen circumstances, I am unable to stock it right now. I'm currently treating the tank to 1ppm ammonia every day or so. Is there an easier way to keep the nitrifying bacteria healthy?
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
I have a freshly cycled 5gal tank. Do to the proverbial unforeseen circumstances, I am unable to stock it right now. I'm currently treating the tank to 1ppm ammonia every day or so. Is there an easier way to keep the nitrifying bacteria healthy?
Just stocking it with fish? or something else? If stocking only refers to fish, I would say to add a large nerite snail and feed it everyday to keep the cycle. nerite because they don't unexpectedly take over your tank like other snails. Return it to the pet shop are you're done :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

There's a good chance a petshop wouldn't take it back. Other than that, Aokashi's suggestion of a snail, some decaying fish food (icky) or a dead shrimp (also icky) would do the job.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:29 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Thanks for the suggestions. I thought it might be something like that. I no longer put food or dead fish in my tank in order to avoid Saprolegnia.

The nearest snail is 80 miles away, but I guess I'll wind up getting one eventually. I'm not a big fan of molluscs (other than octopuses and cuttlefish).
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote