Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #1 
a123andpoof

How to decorate a divided ten gallon?

Okay so I hate my decor in my 10 gallon, but I don't know how to decorate it so its cohesive, and actually looks nice. I would love to see peoples divided tanks to get some ideas. I hope to do it sometime in July after we move, but may start buying stuff slowly and switching stuff out and such. 1 thing I would like is that it compliments the fish in the tank. I will post pics of the fish and show you exactly what I have for a setup and the decor I already have maybe see if any of you can give me ideas to work with some of what I already have! The first section now has a few more silk plants and a flower pot.
The tank

The fish living in the tank

Those are the permenant residents. So any suggestions? Please post pics of your divided tanks to so I can get inspiration!
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #2 
starrlamia

here is mine, not the best pic
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #3 
MollyJean

My black betta, Corrin, has all white flowers in his side, and Mary Jane, who is green, has pink flowers on her side, but I keep the layout the same, just mirrored, for each side. Dang, I need pictures....
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #4 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Nice setup! Be careful with that bridge in the middle though, because i have the same one and just removed it because my Betta seemed to be snagging his fins on it.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #5 
BeckyFish97

I dont have a ten gallon tank, but if you want to make it look more natural maybe try and find a plant that will crawl up and round the dividers?Like aquatic ivy (don't know if it exists?)
My other ideas are, different coloured gravel in each section?
I would try to make the dividers shorter to make the tank sections more even!
And maybe some lucky dip with the decor?mix all the different elements and see what you come up with?Or get some new stuff altogether?I would go on google images and put in divided tanks, see what sort of stuff it brings up?
Also, feel free to ignore any or all of these ideas as I don't have a divided tank, they're just ideas!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #6 
lvandert

I love my 10 gal. It got the natural colored gravel and then just black river rock with live plants.
Attached Images

lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #7 
a123andpoof

I have been thinking different colored gravel. I was at Joanns today and since I am so exited to start this project I bought some really pretty natural black gravel to put in with the pink female. I thought that would compliment her nicely. I figured I would see how it looks and how she likes it. She only has a 4th right now so I can get an idea as to how it will look and if I like it or not.
I can't decide if I want all new or to use some of the stuff I have already. Its so much thinking lol

And beautiful tank! Please keep posting more pics

And I haven't had any problems with the bridge, it seems fine so far anyways. But thanks for the warning.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #8 
XxBettaLoverxX

Here in an old pic of how the 10 gallon used to be now it's a community tank and the bettas are in different tanks.

XxBettaLoverxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #9 
a123andpoof

I like that. It's so simple. Maybe thats my problem its to cluttered with plants.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

You can't be too cluttered. ;) I think you have three options with divided tanks:
- decorate the whole thing as one landscape, then put the dividers in. This gives it a cohesive feel but may not provide optimum space to cover ratio for the individual parts
- make every compartment the same. This can look very smart, or very boring, depending on what you do. Nice symmetry, though.
- You can theme or colour-code each compartment to suit your betta. A red betta with blue gravel, for instance, can really pop. This can either look really cool or really messy. My dream is to get 7 solid-coloured VTs in the colours of the rainbow and divide a custom tank into 7 sections, colour-coding each one to make a rainbow. ;)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote