Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #11 
JKfish

I do weekly water changes and just keep the cover on my tanks, and am yet to have issues with it being more than a very faint iridescent sheen. Though, with uncovered tanks, I used to notice a slight build up. I guess it just varies from house to house and tank to tank :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #12 
Sena Hansler

I have to agree on that - an uncovered tank gets that film. Which is another reason I cover my fry tank :3
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #13 
MyRainbowBettaFish

i think i actually might do a Betta sorority now...(i can't make up my mind!) here is my plan:

-new natural gravel( any Betta-safe recommendations?)
-6-7 silk plants(currently have)
-aqua-clear filter
-new heater?

if i do choose to do this, i rather have the tank understocked than overstocked. How many females could i house COMFORTABLY (3?).

UPDATE! Honeycomb's fins have almost fully healed!

Thanks again!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #14 
Sena Hansler

I will never suggest any less than 4 females. Comfortabley, I had 4-5 females in my 10 gallon. But you'll need more than 6-7 silk plants.. You'll need to stuff that tank with plants, and hidey holes because that'll ensure your bettas won't always be in each other's line of sight.

And good to hear about Honeycomb :) what a cute name!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #15 
MyRainbowBettaFish

thabks for the advice! I am just a newbie here and appreciate pointers!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #16 
Sena Hansler

Oh of course I would say though... stick with 2 males right now. A sorority is pretty hard, and if you happen to grab the 4 females who cannot be with each other...you'd need 4 tanks, or divide 2 tanks.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #17 
MyRainbowBettaFish

yah that sounds good! A split 10 gallon it is!

Have any of you had great success with the Aqua-Clear filter? Would this reduce any of this "protein film'? I am thinking of getting it for the split tank as it (as i have heard) is very effective and has a convenient adjustable water flow. How much does this cost a month to maintain?
Old 05-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

Adjustable water flow is awesome. I think my one tank has something similar, and it is great for divided tanks. I have... a 40 gallon, three 20 gallons, an 80 gallon with two filters, plus two ten gallons all running. My bill per month is cheap for electricity... It might make a whoooole 10 dollars for electricity for them cleaning it I rarely do except to swish to get algae off... I don't replace filter media until it falls apart... so generally = cheap.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #19 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Great! Looks like I will be getting one then! I am still somewhat confused on the filter media you have to replace, and the other stuff in the filter. I am just a newbie and my first filter(which i still have ) is just a basic cheap(it came in an aquarium kit) TOP FIN external hang on the back filter with a cat ridge inside the filter and an intake tube in the tank. I am not used to this snazzy stuff lol
Old 05-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

I haven't had to replace mine - but mine is different in that aspect for the aquaclear which I believe has that "basket" with the carbon package, the sponge and the biomax. I don't remember if the carbon has to be replaced....every 3 months or something? someone else'll have to pipe in for that

If the fish is ever sick (please quarantine the new betta for 2 weeks) remove the carbon before treating

Tags
10 gallon aquarium, filter, heater