Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #21 
JKfish

As I said before, the aquaclear will help on the side it is in. The divider (mesh) will block the surface flow on the other side, so the other side will develop a slight ammount of a protien film. You can keep this to a minimum if your tank is clean, cycled, and has a top on it.

You should read up on the nitrogen cycle , that link is very good. Cycling your tank reduces the ammount of water you have to change, and increases the ammount of fishies/bioload your tank can handle.

Basically, the aquaclear is a filter that helps with cycles.... You'll want to establish one so you don't have to do 100% water changes. THey're a pain in anything 5 gallons or larger. Since you only have one betta boy right now, cycling fish in should be reeaaallly easy and extremely safe. Just keep the filter running 24/7, and do a 50% water change once a week. Since you have only one boy, and you'll probably do it fish in style, it'll be a slow cycle, but eventually it will in fact cycle. When it does, you'd just continue doing the 50% water changes, so nothing really changes.

Carbon filters aren't necessary if you set up a cycled tank, you just need filter media (like filter sponges) to provide surface area for the good bacteria which convert ammonia (dangerous) to nitrite (dangerous) to nitrate (not so dangerous).

Personally, I'd stick with a divided tank for two boys if I were you. Sororities do best with 20 gallons or more. Seeing as you need at least 6 girls to spread out agression, they tend to look a bit cramped in a 10 gallon, and having so little gallons per girl means illness can actually spread easier.

I know you said you didn't want to divide the tank until your boy dies, but I hope you know most bettas live about 5-7 years.... It'd be perfectly fine to divide the tank that Honeycomb is in if you want another betta. There might be a bit of flaring to start off, but that's common whenever you divide tanks between two boys.

Last edited by JKfish; 05-15-2012 at 04:39 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #22 
Sena Hansler

You need minimum of 4, JKfish, to spread out aggression - but the more the better (usually).
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #23 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Thanks, i already know about cycling though because i have had many fish besides bettas. I am worried though that Honeycomb has grown to accustomed to this "bigger" lifestyle that he will stress out tremendously if i divide his tank. I think i will just keep him for his full lifespan, and instead buy a snail or something (ghost shrimp?). My ph where i live is very high (7.8-8.4) and i have very hard water(mineral rich) so any other fish (cories, etc) are kinda out of the question. Betta fish are the only real fish that have survived WAY longer in my tank, and THRIVED. So i wish to stick to Bettas.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #24 
JKfish

Shrimps would be nice, they have small bioloads. :D Ghost shrimps are fun, but you could also buy more colorful ones (like cherry shrimps) since you have the benifit of mineral rich waters~ Or course, with shrimps, your success might depend on how Honeycomb decides to view them... as tankmates or midnight snacks XD. Some bettas could care less and some absolutely love munching.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #25 
MyRainbowBettaFish

thanks so much guys! Ya'll have been so helpful!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #26 
MyRainbowBettaFish

I forgot to ask you guys, if i get one of those net-like plastic dividers from Petsmart to allow filter flow and heated water to flow through, would this be better?
Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #27 
Sena Hansler

I have one like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lees-AQ2-Aqu...item2c5c4c62ef
And it lets the air flow through. Just with this though, Add plants so the bettas do not constantly see each other!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #28 
MyRainbowBettaFish

I would love to buy the one you recommended! Do you know if they come in standard 10 gallon sizes? Also, i can't tell if it is transparent or not, but my bettas would not see each other if i put plants next to it right? Did you have to seal yours off with aquarium silicone? Also,i will be putting the heater on one side flush up against the divider, and the filter on the other side. How do you clean the divided tank with a gravel vacuum? Do you just siphon one side and then the other?

Thanks! Sorry about all the questions, i just wanted to make sure my Betta's have the best quality and quaninty of life they can get!!!!

I was thinking about 1 male plakat( i am falling in love with these!! ) so far... not sure what type of betta for the other side...
Old 05-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #29 
Sena Hansler

tI have it lol bettas can see through it, I would make the tank dense so they can retreat and explore rather than flare 24/7.

don't need to seal it. It's really snug! Make sure to move gravel away from the bottom, then put gravel back around it. My one female found a way through the bottom because a piece of gravel lifted it up I found her chilling with Red! -facepalm-

Just siphon each side as if it were two tanks :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lees-AQ2-Aqu...item256344a1b4 it is expensive... I'd check if you can find one in stores like it. It has the black lining, for bottom, and sides, then two metal clasps (non rusting) for it to be on the side of the tank firmly.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #30 
JKfish

I make homemade ones for about 5 dollars... I just use craft mesh/ embroidery mesh 7, cut it to size, slide it between two of the folder thingies... That's not very helpful, is it?

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=40025 here... That link gives better info.

Tags
10 gallon aquarium, filter, heater