Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #1 
Atena

Trouble eating during ich treatment...

I am on day 8 of ich treatment (daily 100% water changes with AQ and meds), I have an overall happy Betta, but in the past two days he has been more quiet, sitting on the bottom of the tank and not swimming around much,

He has been eating on on and off. Yesterday he did not want to eat, but ate this morning. This evening I noticed has an apatite but seems to not be able to eat his foot. The usual pallets seemed to big to chew down. After the first one he flared, then took another and chewed on it for a bit then spit it out. It looked to me like maybe it hurt to chew on it. I don't know if Bettas have teeth or if they can have tooth issues but that is what it seemed like. I gave him his smaller Betta food (the fine granules, not flakes) and he ate those with no problem.

He is now happier and swimming around more.

Another theory I had is that it has been cloudy here so the house is darker, so I also added more light by placing a lamp near the tank.

He still just seems to sit more than he used to.

This is the thread for the ich treatment: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=100924

I have also noticed his color has gotten slightly paler over the last week, but he is on meds and salt treatment. Overall I think he looks better than ever (at least the 20 days I have him), but his behavior is not reflecting that.

Any advice will help. Thank you so much.
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #2 
Tazo

The meds might be changing his attitude somewhat. They can be pretty harsh on fish sometimes. I'd say finish up the treatment with the meds and then see if he's still having problems eating.
Since he's been eating something, even if it's not his usual food, I'd say that's a good sign. The inactivity/lethargy could be a side effect of the medication, too... I'm no expert, but I have treated ich in a goldfish before, and those meds can definitely cause some side effects.
Tazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #3 
Atena

Can I continue treating with just the salt and taper down or stop medication?

I am using AP Quick Cure, two drops, twice a day. Active ingredients are formalin and malachite green.

Can I continue to use just the salt or will this be too much shock for him?
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote