Finchette

New fish, I don't know what's wrong?

Housing
What size is your tank?
5 gallon
What temperature is your tank?
26 degrees Celsius
Does your tank have a filter?
Yes, although I don't run it constantly.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Filter doubles as an aeration device
Is your tank heated?
Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
He's a new Betta, and I haven't seen him eat yet. I feed him "Goldfish Granules"
How often do you feed your betta fish?
Once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
Haven't had the Betta for even a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
-
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
-

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
His fins looked a little torn before, but it's gotten worse.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
Swims around less often.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
2 days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
Bought him a week ago, so not that I know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)?
New.

this is Moby at the moment.

This was Moby 4 days ago.
Finchette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:55 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

Poor guy.

Is he lethargic, does he float at the top and lay at the bottom?
Take a good close look at him - do you see anything on his body like a fuzzy patch or white spots? Also, shine a flashlight on him and look for gold dust (a parasite known as velvet - you usually can only see it via a flashlight).

You should leave the filter either off or on. If you keep it on, the tank is going to try and cycle which can take a few weeks. Bacteria will grow in the tank and in the filter. If you turn it off, any bacteria will die off. When you turn it back on, the dead bacterial will cause a spike of harmful chemicals in your tank. If the current is too strong, there are ways to slow it down.

I would suggest doing a water change - maybe 50% or more. (100% would be better) If there is anything nasty that got into the tank, weather it be ammonia or maybe something off your hands, this should take care of it.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #3 
Finchette

He's extremely lethargic, always at the top of the tank resting either in the gap between the heater and the side of the tank (of top of the suction cup) or in the corner next to the filter.

I've just had a good look at him with a flash light to see if he had any of those symptoms you've described. Nothing. His colour rather dull, however.

Would it be more beneficial to leave it on or off, in that case? The filter is a little loud, would that stress out the Betta?

Thank you so much for the advice, I'll do a water change now.
Finchette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #4 
TheCheese909

This is what i'm going to suggest doing..

#1 get him some actual Betta food. I love the Aqueon Betta Pellets, they are my personal favorite and my fish love them too. You can also get him some frozen/freeze-dried Bloodworms as a little snack from time to time. The frozen are more scrumptious but a bit messier. If you use the freeze-dried ones then soak them in some water for about 5-10 minutes first otherwise they can cause your Betta to get bloated, only feed them to him 2-3 times a week in place of his normal food.

#2 Get him some API Stress Coat- it has Water Conditioner in it as well, so you can use it along with or in place of your normal Water Conditioner. This stuff will help him feel more at home in his environment.

#3 Try doing an Aquarium Salt treatment. Get a 1 gallon tank/container if you can find one (it's much easier this way), put 1 Teaspoon of the Aquarium Salt into this hospital tank and let it dissolve first before putting him in. Add 1 or 2 cap fulls of the Stress Coat and let the water acclimate for atleast 15 minutes. Remember to let the salt dissolve first before adding him.

#4 If you can, get a air pump and a air pump valve, place it in the tank. The valve makes the water less bubbly and windy since it'll be a small tank. The air pump is there to keep the water and water surface moving (even if slightly) to keep any harmful bacteria from stepping in. You can also buy some Top Fin (or other brand) Bacteria Supplement- if you do then add that no sooner then 15 minutes after dechlorinating the tank or the good bacteria will die.

Add you fish to the tank. You're going to want to change his water every day for 7 days with the 1 Teaspoon of the Aquarium Salt. This should make him feel and look better.

If you don't have a 1 gallon container for him then but have a larger one then the recipe for the salt and the tank is 1 Teaspoon per 1 Gallon of water. I recommend the 1 gallon hospital tanks because they are easier to clean out daily. I prefer using the Aqua Culture Aquarium Starter Kit. It's shaped like a diamond and is 1 gallon of water, it also comes with an air pump for its under gravel filter (you don't need the filter in this case). They are sold at WalMart for $10, you can also pick up the valve there for about $2, maybe less.

For the API Stress Coat and Bacteria Supplement try PetCo or PetSmart. WalMart has it's own brand of Stress Coat but I don't know if it works or not, I would stick to the API brand to be safe.

Last edited by TheCheese909; 05-16-2012 at 06:24 AM.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote