Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #1 
moerajab

Exclamation Fin Rot or Fin Damage. Please HELP!

Hey Guys. I woke up in the morning a couple days ago and noticed some of my Betta's tail missing. I'm not sure if Fin Rot or something else so would u guys be able to help mee please and tell me how to make it better . So i came on the forum and read to put Aquarium salt in the tank. I added the required amount and 2 days later it didnt do anything and tail still getting worse so I changed 75% of water and got medication called Betta Fix and added that:
http://dfmlo8oja8g1e.cloudfront.net/...ant/519818.jpg
Still no sign of him getting better i think its still getting worse.

I THINK that he got worse by a bacterial infection cause i had to leave somewhere for 3 days so i left him at my friends house and he was kept him in a vase beside the window and didnt change the water at all. the water was white. I think it had bacteria bloom. I think thats what sparked the fin rot, but im not 100% sure.

Housing
What size is your tank?
10 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Betta Pellets and Frozen Blood Worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 Times every two days. So one day twice and the other day one

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
Every 2 Weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta Conditioner with Almond Extract

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Never

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Just the fins have been degrading and looks like its rotting
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No its still very energetic and even made a bubble nest in its condition
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Woke up one morning and tank beside my bed so i saw a chunk of tail missing over night
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? after 2 days of his tail loosing i added Aquariam Salt. Then didnt seem to do anything so changed 75% of water to make sure clean and added BettaFix Fin treatment.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that i no of. When i bought it it seemed healthy
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have no idea. I got him from Big Als 3 weeks ago.

Last edited by moerajab; 05-14-2012 at 04:16 PM.
moerajab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #2 
moerajab

My Avatar picture is him healthy before this happened. This is him now:

2 Days after salt added (it did nothing and looked same):

After the medication was added with salt (got worse):

Last edited by moerajab; 05-14-2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Left Something Out By Accident
Old 05-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #3 
moerajab

Anyone able to help? I really wanna see him better
Old 05-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Are you sure he is not tail/fin biting and doing this to himself.....

It could be a few things going on......water quality being one of them....even in 10gal with a single Betta-I would recommend at least 50% with vacuum weekly-unless you have massive amount of actively growing live plants. Even if he is tail/fin biting-good water quality can help prevent secondary infections.

Sometimes-not always....the delicate fin of the long fin male Betta can be damaged from the water movement itself from the filter-as well as space...some of the long fin males delicate fins can't tolerate too much use from swimming.

Then you have items in the tank-like plastic plants, too rough gravel, items that pinch the fins, the intake of the filter that pulls on the fins..etc....

All of this combined may or may not be the reason he is having problems keeping his fins intact and then once the fins get tattered this opening can be the start of a secondary infection....

What I would recommend-place him in a 1-2gal unfiltered tank with limited items/decoration except for a silk plant or better-live plant and make 3 weekly water changes....2-50% and 1-100% for 1 week-
Then twice weekly...1-50% and 1-100% for 1 week-this will at least rule out space, water movement and water quality as the cause.

If you have either IAL or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf-add this to both the tank and the re-placement water used for water changes.

The tannins from either the IAL or Oak leaf can help toughen scales/fin some, they contain antibacterial/fungal properties and help ease stress-as well as lower the pH to a degree-but not much....

Nutrition is also a big factor since poor nutrition can often be a cause of fin issues....feed good quality varied diet in small frequent meals and if you have access to mosquito larva-offer several rinsed a couple of times a day to boost protein that can help promote healing and new tissue....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin rot damage