Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #1 
nubetafan

Question I'm not sure what to do...

I'm a new beta owner and have recently introduced a beautiful male to my 20 gal aquarium. He appears very happy and started building a nest within the first few days. The aquarium has been set up approximately 30 days and I introduced the appropriate bacteria so it will have cycled and be ready for fish. I have 5 guppies, two small catfish, 7 neons and a couple of pygmy frogs. All seem happy and appear to get a long for the most part. Anyway, my question is this: I have had to disturb the beta's (Cisco) nest to do 10% water changes and that makes me a little sad because I hate to see him do all of that work then have it all come apart when I clean. He's very happy in this larger tank and it even has a filter that has a fairly strong flow but he builds his nest in the farthest corner and it seems to do just fine until I disturb it. He's very funny as he seems to like the water current and keeps gong over to it and "plays"... like he's really enjoying himself. Anyway, I've introduced a female and she's floating in a small breeder tank. He's very interested in her but I don't want to see either one of them get hurt...especially Cisco as I've already become very attached to him(and I've read that they can do some major damage to each other if put together and they're not ready to breed). I don't know if I should turn her loose and let nature take it's course (which is not my first choice), remove the female completely, stop worrying about his nest and him being stressed because it keeps getting destroyed... or what. I would like to have some little Ciscos and I do understand that the probability is slim with my limited knowledge and experience but first and foremost I would like him to be happy. So...how long should the water go without 10% changes with a good filtering system? Long enough for them to spawn and the fry to hatch and drop from the nest? Or should I forget the whole thing and just let things be as they are. (I would like to keep him in his current tank as he's so happy there). Any help with this would be really appreciated. Thanks!
nubetafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #2 
viviandponyo

I'm not sure, I haven't had any experience in breeding but I think that it should be safe to let nature take it's course as long as when they see each other they do not appear to be stressed or try and fight through the glass..... maybe.
viviandponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #3 
Leeniex

Not until you research breeding. There is an entire section here about it.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=87172
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #4 
Enkil

You really shouldn't breed bettas in a community tank...

If you want to breed, do some researching.
You'll have to condition both bettas with high protein diets. A 10 gal is a good tank to use as a spawning tank. You'll then need a 20 gal or bigger tank for letting the fry grow, depending on spawn size.

Male and female bettas should not be housed together. One or the other should have their own tank. Or you could try setting up a sorority.
Besides, if they did spawn in your community tank, the fry would most likely get sucked up by the filter. The fry are very tiny when they hatch.

I have several males. My Leonidas doesn't go without having a bubble nest. It gets destroyed every time I do a water change. He just rebuilds after the water is replaced.
My Gwynfor also builds bubble nests. I haven't had him as long and had him in a breeder cage in my sorority at first. He takes the ruin of his nests in stride, rebuilding every time. His nests are really thick too. Destroying the nests doesn't seem to stress them too much. They mainly take it in stride and just rebuild.

Last edited by Enkil; 05-20-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #5 
MollyJean

If you use a siphon, you can avoid crushing his bubble next by placing a half Styrofoam cup in the water for him to build inside.

You'll do a lot less damage to the nest.

But just because a betta is making a next doesn't mean you have to breed him. It just means he's healthy. You should do a lot of research before breeding. I would find your girl her own aquarium. Something 2.5 gallons or larger, preferably. And keep her tank away from the male, so they don't stress each other out.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #6 
nubetafan

thanks

I have read about breeding bettas but lacking experience I just was worried about Cisco and didn't want him hurt or stressed unnecessarily. Thank you for addressing the part about rebuilding his nest and feedback on your experience. That helps. And I didn't think about the fry getting sucked into the filter. I think I'll just leave things as they are for now. He's happy that she's in the tank... and they can't get to each other so I won't worry about their safety. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Thanks again.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

Definitely don't introduce her to the community tank. It won't end well.

MollyJean has given you a good tip to avoid bubble-destruction. :)

I would also suggest getting more catfish, as they are schooling fish and should be in groups with a minimum of 4, more being better. You also need to be doing 25% changes weekly, not 10%. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #8 
nubetafan

thanks to you too

Thanks for the cup idea for the nest. I have a 10 gal I might set up for the female. I want them both to be happy and healthy. So nice of everyone to comment. I was surprised at how attached I became to him after only a couple of days. He's a kick for sure.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

She'll love that! What a luxury home. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #10 
MollyJean

If you have a 10 gallon tank, that is perfect for a sorority. You could have 4 or 5 females in a tank that size.

I suggest reading this thread for some ideas on a sorority.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29402

Keeping your male and female bettas in different tanks where they can't see each other all the time will keep them all happy and healthy. Seeing each other at all times will keep them both stressed and aggressive.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote