Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2012, 05:31 PM   #1 
WDW Donna

Can location of tank affect betta?

I am wondering if the location of my tank is affecting the health of my bettas. My kids each have a tank in their rooms and their bettas are healthy and happy. I had to find somewhere for mine and chose the kitchen counter. I had two females that did well for quite a while then died from what I suspect was dropsy. I cleaned the tank and now my girl is not looking too well. (we have quite a large counter. She is not just jammed in a corner). I have been treating Angel for dropsy but I am afraid she might not do well. I think I will put her into a temporary bowl and throughly clean the tank.
What is the best way to sterilize my tank?
Thanks
WDW Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

Depends on whether you have a heater. temperature fluctuations in the location could be a cause. And if it doesnt have a top then, stuff from te kitchen can potentially sneak in
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #3 
WDW Donna

No heater just filter. There is a top on it. My daughter has the same 2.5gal tank and her fish are fine. They are both almost 1 year with us. I have been looking for a small enough heater to put in it so I can display my tank in the family room in the basement. Temp fluctuation might be the problem perhaps.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #4 
Pogthefish

I agree on that.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

I'd suggest getting a heater for any tank that doesn't have one. :) A temperature between 78 and 82 is an important factor in betta health, and, as has been rightly pointed out, so is temperature stability. Temps that fluctuate too fast can be deadly. An adjustable 25 watt heater will help keep all the tanks nice and warm, as well as stable. :)

Is it possible that any cleaning chemicals from the kitchen made their way into the tank? If you use sprays, there is a high chance that that could happen.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #6 
WDW Donna

Thanks all for your input. I do watch what sprays and/or chemicals are used in the house as we also have a cockatiel and dog.
The only question I still have is how to disenfect my tank without the use of cleaners. I am also wondering if cleaning it when my other fish died was not done well enough. All I did that time was use very hot water on the tank, decorations and put in a brand new filter.
I did forget to mention that Angel (pictured left) was a rescue from PetSmart. She didn't have a very clean cup and her fins were kind of ragged. Maybe she was never 100% well.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #7 
Micho

You can use vinegar, or bleach either one.

I don't really know the ratio for it but bleach or vinegar paired with very hot water will wash everything off.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:49 AM   #8 
Bombalurina

White vinegar is a ratio of one party vinegar to 9 parts water. Bleach is 1 part bleach to 19 parts water.

For bleach, rinse the heck out of it, air-dry it then rinse it again. If you can smell even a trace of bleach, rinse and dry it again. It is annoying and laborious, but you can guarantee it will kill everything.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #9 
WDW Donna

Wonderful thank you