Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #11 
TheCheese909

Melafix and Primafix will hurt your Betta if too much is used. You'll be best off taking him out until that is all taken care of.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #12 
Psylk87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
anyways, I'm still thinking qt-ing the two fish in a tubberware with 1 tsp of aq salt per gallon will help. That, and clean water... The aq salt typically is very good battling off the illnesses, whether they arefungal or bacterial. :)

Do you think short soaks in the salt water (15-30 minutes) will still be able to help? I am really worried about killing my snail trying to treat the tetras. I cant find a tupperware container that I is even close to a gallon around the house. I do have a pitcher I could use if it is more short term but I would be worried about making sure there was enough oxygen in the water.

It doesn't seem like a parasite to me. No one is rubbing on anything are acting strangely.

Everyone is still acting normal, happy, and healthy. No one seems sluggish or pale. They are all swimming actively.

I did a water change (little over 25%) and bought some aquarium salt. My store didnt even have Melafix the only anti fungal they had was Jungle Fungus Clear fizz tabs. It says the active ingredients are Nitrofurazone, Furazolidone, and Potassium Dichromate. Claims to be safe for all aquarium fish and plants?
I went ahead and grabbed a pack of it since it was all they had but I have NOT used it yet. I thought it was better to have something tho since I will have to order anything else in the mail.

Has anyone seen this before? What does it look like? The fact that I cant seem to get any answers from searching is a little disconcerting.
Psylk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #13 
JKfish

Salt baths/soaks would need high ammounts of salt to get anything done, and I'd be afraid that it'd shock the neons... Do you have any plant scraps you wouldn't mind tossing into a tubberware to provide a bit of oxygen? 1 tsp of salt per gallon isn't ver much, and a hardy plant should do fine for a day or so :) Do you just so happen to have an airline and airstone? If you do, you could hook those up.

I'm sorry, but I don't have much experience with many actual medications, so I can't give very much advice in that regard... for the most part I've been lucky enough to be able to fix almost every single illness I've come across with plain old salts (aquarium or epsom) and clean water. :/

Last edited by JKfish; 05-16-2012 at 06:35 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #14 
Psylk87

I have a 5 gallon bucket. Do you think they would be okay in that? Its not clear but I could put all 5 in it and kinda treat them together? Anytime I have ever had sick fish they have all been sick and I have needed to treat them so this is new ground for me.

How many days do you think I should keep them in the seperate container? Their tank is planted so U do have a plant I could toss in the bucket with them. Or like I said I have a few pichers? Or I do have smaller tuperware bowls that I could still float in the tank but they arent a gallon.

Do you think whatever it is is in the main tank water now? even if I take the tetras out will it still be in the water with the betta and snail?

I just wish I knew what it was so I knew how to treat it.

Edit to add: Are these the two medications you mentioned? I cant seem to find anything that says Maracyn 1.

Last edited by Psylk87; 05-16-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #15 
JKfish

That 5 gallon will work well, so long as it is clean :) Do you have an extra heater you could toss in? By plant, I just mean anything that you wouldn't mind tossing in there and risking it dying. It could be a few plant clippings or an actual plant.

Treating all of them would be a good idea. If possible, I'd do a very large water change in the main tank as well while you're treating the tetras.

As odd and worrying as it is not to know what you're treating, I wouldn't freak out. Aquarium salt is a wonderful, amazing thing. It has battled columnaris, finrot, ich, velvet, internal parasites, etc, and for the most part won in about 10 days (Columnaris excluded :/ ).

Yes, those are Maracyn and Maracyn 2.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #16 
Psylk87

As I said I did a a little over 25% water change today (may have actually been a little closer to 50%) How big of water change should I do in the main tank and when? How often? Normally I do about 25% once a week or so and then a good gravel clean and a 50% change once every month or month and a half depending on how it looks.

Everyone ate supper today. They are all still very active. Only sign of any sickness is the white bumps on their chins that I posted pictures of. They havent seemed to have gotten any bigger or smaller. Betta still seems unaffected.

I don't have an extra heater anymore sadly. My backup went out a while ago and I havnet had a chance to pick one up. That is why I was asking about salt baths earlier.Currently I have the two sick ones floating in a small tupperware container (with salt) in the tank but they dont seem to like it much.

My boyfreind has decided it is fish herpes and they will never be cured no mater what lol.

I did go ahead and order the maracyn from amazon but it will take a few days to get here.

Fingers crossed no one else gets sick and everyone makes it through this whatever it is!
Old 05-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #17 
JKfish

Haha, that's one way to look at it.

And yeah, I don't think the neons will be happy, but they'll just have to deal with it until, they're better XD . It's a good sign though that everyone is eating and doing well.