Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #1 
Wasabi

Sticky fins

Hi all!
I got my Betta about a week ago and he was spectacular!!!

Now, about a week later, this is what he looks like:

I keep my water very clean (tested for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite and all came up zero), temperature stable at 79, he eats like a pig and is extremely active.
I will admit that I use an aquaclear filter and even though it was a minimum, the circulation might have still been too much, but I recently fixed that by putting some filter floss in front of the output.

Any ideas on what it could be/how to fix it?

Much appreciated.
Wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #2 
Gamma

He looks very stressed to me. Is there anything near his tank that might be bothering him? Such as: other pets, high traffic area, or often having his tank jostled. Some fish I've had would become stressed because I had something to brightly colord near his tank.
Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #3 
Wasabi

He is in a peaceful and quiet spot, but it is next to my salt water aquarium... He does not seem to be bothered by it, as he does not keep away from it or pay the slightest bit of attention to it. But just in case, I will put something to block his view from it to see if it helps. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #4 
TheCheese909

Such a pretty fish! Wow.

Get him some API Stress Coat as well, see if that helps him out a bit. Try giving him 2 cap fulls and maybe a few frozen treats as well, see if that cheers him up a bit. You can also try looking for some toys for him like a floating Betta log, see if that sparks his interest.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Anything to stress him out?
Did you Acclimate him?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #6 
Wasabi

Yes I took my time acclimating him over 45 mins. Other than the high filter flow and possibly the salt water aquarium, I did notice when I first put him in, he would see his reflection in the glass of the aquarium for the first day, now he totally ignores it. If that is the problem, I have no idea how to rectify that problem, bar keeping a blanket over the tank in order to keep him in constant darkness lol.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #7 
Wasabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheese909 View Post
Such a pretty fish! Wow.

Get him some API Stress Coat as well, see if that helps him out a bit. Try giving him 2 cap fulls and maybe a few frozen treats as well, see if that cheers him up a bit. You can also try looking for some toys for him like a floating Betta log, see if that sparks his interest.
Thanks!
I will pick those up tomorrow and I will cut him a piece of PVC for now. I think I have some spirulina brine shrimp and mysis shrimp. Are those any good for bettas or is it best to stick to blood worms and Hikari Betta Bio-Gold?

Last edited by Wasabi; 05-15-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #8 
TheCheese909

I have the freeze-dried SBP, and my fish love it, I want to eventually get the frozen kind and watch them flip out about it lol. You can feed that to him and see if he likes it, just don't give him Brine Shrimp too often as it acts like a laxative, maybe twice a week on that stuff. Same with the Bloodworms, only 2-3 times a week.

I've never used the Hikari brand Betta food, I know a lot of people here swear by it though. I prefer the Aqueon brand myself, but you can try getting a different brand of Betta food for him as well and see if he likes the different variety. I own about 7 different types of pellet food for my 9 boys, I like to switch it up from time to time :)

I've never used the Mysis Shrimp, but from what I can tell you should be fine using it. Just remember not to over feed him.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #9 
Wasabi

Neat! Thanks!
Old 05-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #10 
Wasabi

I was also wondering, is it possible that he has fin rot? His fins don't seem to be decomposing, but I have read that they will sometimes clump together and get some kinks (kind of what I am seeing). Or do bettas normally clump their fins together when stressed?