Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #1 
True Indigo

Pictures of Gill, my first rescue.

Some of you might know about my other thread where I mentioned I had a rescue that I hadn't planned on keeping (still looking for a local person to take him to a good home). But in case you haven't seen that, I'm just going to detail everything.

About three weeks ago, I had checked on my local Petco's new betta shipment since I go there every week to get a first peek. I saw what they had left to put in cups--veil tails and kings (half giants). I asked if they had any colorful or halfmoon plakat kings or any halfmoon kings. The woman there (who is always nice and helpful whenever I go) said she didn't notice any such sort in particular and believed they only got regular kings but that I could see if any popped out to me while she did the veil tails. And if I found any, she could cup him for me so he could de-stress and let his color come back.

I was shifting through and sure enough, just regular kings (I always feel so bad since they rarely get bought since they're 15 dollars and aren't the most interesting bettas to look at). Nothing really catching my eye until I see a bag that was floating and stuck in the corner of the tank by some floating plants. A halfmoon king! She was surprised and loved his colors as well. My friend told me I should get him, but after some time, I decided he didn't have that "Take me!" feel I needed in order to get a fish.

So they said they'd hide him with the veil tails in case I changed my mind when I said I'd come back the next day. After confirming that I didn't want him, I moved him to the front display with the more impressive bettas--because he was very impressive.

And so there he was.

And he was there another week.

And then another week.

I started feeling so bad because this guy was slowly degrading. He had a cut and his fins were starting to clamp and his color was starting to lose his color. Then one late night, I came in and he was lethargic and un-alert, even to me approaching his cup. That day was particularly bad because they were swamped and didn't have time to change the water and wouldn't until next afternoon. They're almost always so good and pride themselves in having rare accounts of dead fish. But this guy wasn't going to make it.

He was a 20 dollar fish that I didn't want to buy. But I got him as soon as he slowly shifted his glance to me.

And here he is now, fully recovered. :)

I didn't mean to name him since I plan on giving him away, but the name popped up. He's more and more beautiful every day. He already made one bubble nest and even flared for the first time. 20 dollars was worth the rescue.
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #2 
Gamma

I recently made a Wal-mart rescue a completey red veil tail. Also my first rescue!
Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #3 
Hmongol

amazing story and fish
Hmongol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #4 
Bethydan

I love Kings. The Magster is a wild-type. Nothing uncommon. But under the aquarium lighting and surrounded by the right decor, I never cease to be amazed at how stunning the color can be.
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #5 
True Indigo

Yay! Doesn't it feel good, too, Gamma? At first I was feeling kind of nervous about the fact that I rescued him, but seeing his progress made me really happy.

Hmongol, thank you. :)

Bethydan, yeah, it doesn't help when they're cooped up in those small cups that barely fit them.
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote