Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #1 
Sincerely

Female Showing Large Bubblenest?

So I decided to make this thread for a good reason.

My female, Wicca has made a HUGE bubblenest after I placed her in a jar of her own due to aggression issues she was having in the sorority after having her in the community for over five months with NO aggression issues. This suddenly cropped up and I have no idea what to do with her except keep her now in a solitary jar because before I removed her from the sorority she nipped two of the other members.

So I have two questions (because I really couldn't find any good information on this anywhere)

1. Is a female making a bubblenest an indication that she is wanting to breed? Or is she just having a testosterone fueled PMS?

2. If I did breed her (She is about eight months old) is that too old for breeding? I've heard some people have bred fish older than this but its usually a male instead of a female.

-Sincerely

Pictures (Sorry if they are large)

Picture of Wicca when she came from Basement Betta, picture by Basement Betta. She has grown out and now has a very easy 180 spread, she is my favorite female and I would love to breed her, I just dont know if I should or not.
Sincerely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #2 
Crowntailed

A bubble nest doesn't meen they want to breed it just means there happy.
Crowntailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:01 AM   #3 
Sincerely

I have read about some females creating bubble nests and then placing unfertilized eggs into it. The reason I am concerned is because she has never exhibited this behavior prior to this episode. Not only that, she flares and is very aggressive towards other bettas, whether it be male or female (I placed her jar next to Pandora then next to Numa and she was flaring the entire time with her following the movements of the other betta in full flare, she used to be the most passive betta I owned and now she has become a little devil.)

This sudden turnaround in behavior is what is concerning me.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #4 
lvandert

basement bettas is pretty darn good about sexing but you never know, it could be a male. The fish in to top pic looks like he's got the head of a boy and the fins have grown. maybe its just the play of the light. Young males can have an egg spot and breeding stripes. My boy did...
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #5 
MyRainbowBettaFish

it means they are happy and healthy, i am pretty sure females CAN make them too, but it is not as likely...
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #6 
Sincerely

She is definitely a female, she still exhibits an egg spot and now appears like she is swelling up with eggs. I do not know if she is thinking she can have a spawn all by herself or what but she is maintaining the size of it. Also, I have read females create smaller bubbles than males and this is definitely true with her nest. I will try to get a better picture of her when I come home today.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #7 
lvandert

lol silly girly. Maybe she is thinking she can do it herself
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #8 
Curlyfatbottom

post recent close up pix of your female
the two fish don't look alike

the first only look like a male
blue/dirty butterfly
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #9 
Luimeril

i had a female who, every few weeks, would swell with eggs, then build a bubble nest, drop her eggs, eat most of them, and place a few into the nest. she would then tend to it for about a day before eating the rest of the eggs.

my female delta, Medic, would build large bubble nests, and did so all the time until she got Dropsy. they weren't as large as my male's, but she'd build them constantly.

i say she's a good candidate for breeding. you just might want to take your time conditioning her, and asking the good breeders on here for advice on breeding aggressive females. :V
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #10 
Sincerely

My lighting for her right now is bad, she is green. Also, this is her at eight months old, her pictures from Basement Bettas was when she was three months old. The ends of her fins have grown out into a white band.
(Picture of when she was in the sorority and her real color)

(Pictures showing her form)