Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #1 
AdamMZ

Unhappy Something EXTREMELY WEIRD happened...

My brother and I have two betta fishes. We didn't know about males and females about the betta fish. But here's something REALLY weird happen. I don't know if they should like stay with each other or not.

Well, our female betta fish released her eggs, but how? I mean, this is some information I got from wikipedia:

"...for the male wraps his body around the female; around 1041 eggs are released during each embrace, until the female is exhausted of eggs."

But she already released her eggs eventhough the male one didn't wraps his body around the female! (I haven't name them, LOL. I want to call "Aquaria" for the female. Suggest a name for the male )

Here's some other information I found from wikipedia:

"During and after spawning, the male uses his mouth to retrieve sinking eggs and deposit them in the bubble nest (during mating the female sometimes assists her partner, but more often she will simply devour all the eggs that she manages to catch). Once the female has released all of her eggs, she is chased away from the male's territory, as it is likely that she'll eat the eggs due to hunger."

So should we let them stay together or not? Well, we tried. After that, the male started to flare his gills, just like what wikipedia said, but the female looks like she scared. And that makes me feel like I shouldn't do that.
AdamMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #2 
SamJustice

Males and females should never be kept together except during spawning. And then the female should be removed.
The male shouldn't be until the babies are free swimming.
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #3 
Sheldon31

Males and females should only be kept together while breeding. After spawning the female should be removed. So in short, no you shouldn't leave them together.

Someone who is more experienced with breeding will tell you what to do about the eggs if you want to keep them.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #4 
AdamMZ

I'm don't understand about this "the female should be remove" thing. You mean like the female should be separate with the male or just remove the female from the tank and leave the eggs or something. Or maybe what we're doing is actually fine. (All we do is feed them and clean their tank)

And SamJustice, I feel sorry to Cosmo and Johnny.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #5 
Sheldon31

Females and males cannot live harmoniously together, they will eventually become aggresive against eachother and may result in death of one or both of the fish. Both need their own separate tanks. When breeding the male and female are put together to spawn. When spawning ends (the male may chase the female off) you should immediately put the female back in her own tank and the male will take care of the eggs and babies until they are free swimming then the male will need to be separated from his spawn. Breeding should really only be done if you have plenty of room and time to d more than just feed and clean.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #6 
SamJustice

Bettas can't live together (except females in a sorority of at least 6 in a heavily decorated/planted 10 gal tank. at LEAST). The male and female will eventually kill one or the other or both. So they need to be separated. Personally, I'd have them in separate tanks, but you can have them in a divided tank, provided it's large enough.

and thank you. Happened a couple of weeks ago. Cosmo was my first betta. Johnny was my second. They came from walmart and were sick when I got them. V.V
Old 05-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #7 
AdamMZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamMZ View Post
I'm don't understand about this "the female should be remove" thing. You mean like the female should be separate with the male or just remove the female from the tank and leave the eggs or something. Or maybe what we're doing is actually fine. (All we do is feed them and clean their tank)

And SamJustice, I feel sorry to Cosmo and Johnny.
And I forgot to mention that we did separate them. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamJustice View Post
And thank you. Happened a couple of weeks ago. Cosmo was my first betta. Johnny was my second. They came from walmart and were sick when I got them. V.V
Yeah, it's really hard when betta fishes got sick. Good luck with your third betta fish.
And Sheldon31, I clicked the link. And... our tank is small. I should change it with a bigger one.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #8 
Sheldon31

Aslong as the tanks are 1gallon or more and is heated then it's fine. Personally, I prefer 5 gallon or more for single betta and 10 gallon or more if you want fish tank mates or you want a divided tank.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #9 
SamJustice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamMZ View Post
Yeah, it's really hard when betta fishes got sick. Good luck with your third betta fish.
Third and fourth.
Rev and Raph are 2 different boys, lol. XD

I like 2 - 2.5 gal for single. XD but it depends on the person. I like having my fish next to me, and their tank fits on my nightstand that way.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #10 
AdamMZ

So... what should I do when the eggs hatched? (I'm not sure when Aquaria released her eggs )