Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #1 
4everaspirit

Question Girl Has Been Flaring At me D:

This has been going on for about a week or so, but Melanie has been flaring her gills at me every time she sees me.

She didn't use to do that, and in the past she seemed like she was happy to see me when I came home. She would wiggle up to the glass and just stare at me o.o

I didn't know betta girls flared until I saw her do it to me recently. I'm worried that maybe she's upset with me, or unhappy :( As I said, she hadn't done this ever previously for the 4 months I have had her, but she has been doing it for the past week and I really don't know why.

Anyone have any thoughts?
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #2 
Shiverdam

She could just be flaring because she's excited, in sort of the same way male and female bettas flare at each other to show off.
Shiverdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #3 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiverdam View Post
She could just be flaring because she's excited, in sort of the same way male and female bettas flare at each other to show off.
I dunno. She never flared at me before, if she had ever been excited before :/ Thanks for your input though.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #4 
Pogthefish

Maybe she's in a bad mood, you know haw we girls are ;)
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #5 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
Maybe she's in a bad mood, you know haw we girls are ;)
haha lol...yeah, but this has been going on for the past week everytime she sees me. I feel like maybe I'm doing something wrong. Anyone know how to cheer a fish up? D:
Old 05-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #6 
TheCheese909

Doubtful you're doing something wrong unless you recently changed something in her aquarium and she doesn't like it. Chances are, she's just maturing a bit more, she'll probably stop later on. If you reward her every time she flares at you she might learn that you want her to do that lol. You can try giving her some frozen noms though if you want, or try switching up her regular food you give her if you feel like it.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #7 
MollyJean

Yeah, don't think she's mad at you, you're just perceiving it as anger. It could be something you're wearing that's flashy, it could be a change in the tank, or outside the tank that she can see, or it could be that she is restless and doing it to get a little exercise. Maybe you could play with her more often so she doesn't get bored. ALL of my girls LOVE the laser pointer, they go crazy about it, maybe get one and see if she likes it.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #8 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJean View Post
Yeah, don't think she's mad at you, you're just perceiving it as anger. It could be something you're wearing that's flashy, it could be a change in the tank, or outside the tank that she can see, or it could be that she is restless and doing it to get a little exercise. Maybe you could play with her more often so she doesn't get bored. ALL of my girls LOVE the laser pointer, they go crazy about it, maybe get one and see if she likes it.
Thank you molly and cheese for your inputs.

Hmm, well, the area around her tank is a little more cluttered than usual. >.> I also changed her environment around during her last cleaning....so maybe she doesn't like it >.>

Laser pointer...hmmm good idea. XD
Old 05-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #9 
nicebear24

Maybe you should talk to her and train her, my fishies love that!

Good LUCK!
nicebear24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #10 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicebear24 View Post
Maybe you should talk to her and train her, my fishies love that!

Good LUCK!
Once that fish school set comes to town, I will xD