Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #1 
copperarabian

Anyone else work at Petsmart?

I started this Monday and so far it's pretty awesome and the staff are very knowledgeable on the animals. One person could tell a rat had upper respiratory infection just by holding it and, so she took it to the vet that's in the building.

A guy came to the back with a betta, he had a 3 or 4g aquarium and unfortunately he was set on also getting a mystery snail. Other then the mystery snail he took my advice, he bought a heater and one other thing(I forgot what it was), I also gave hi9m tips on water changes and told him that if his betta is ever sitting on the bottom lethargic to do a water change right away because that means the ammonia is too high.

Only one bird person came in so far, she wanted seed for her wild bird feeder. It was kinda cool because I know all the birds in the area and could tell her which birds would most likely come to the different mixes.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #2 
AquaNinJa

That sounds fun! I work at a local pet store but I'm not old enough to work at Petco and Petsmart but the petstore needed help. I'm not so knowledgeable on animals though but I'm getting there. We don't sell many animals there. Basically bettas, hamsters, mice, guinea pigs, lizards, few birds, and rabbits. I think petstores are really fun though because we get firsties on the new betta shipments(:
AquaNinJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I filled out an application about 2 months ago at Petsmart and went over there to talk to the manager but haven't heard back yet.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #4 
shadowpony

I'd love to work at petsmart. Use my persuasive (not so) skills to improve the betta,rodent,bird,and other fish's conditions.
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #5 
Wolfie305

I'm friends with the manager at my PetSmart and he's been asking me to apply, but I can only work Fridays and Saturdays and I think he wants me on nights. Not sure yet haha.
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #6 
Sakura8

I so wish you were working at my Petsmart, Copper. The staff is friendly but . . . yeah. Knowledgeable no. At any rate, I am positive you will be a great asset to any pet store you ever work at because you are so knowledgeable about so many kinds of critters.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #7 
copperarabian

@dramaqueen
Make sure to check in a lot so they remember you, right now my store is hiring a ton of people because the drug test hadn't been working and now they are. I'm happy I'm in pet care, most of the new people went to the pet hotel.

I just got off work, I'm kinda tired lol

@Sakura
That sucks, apparently at the petsmart I'm at the first manager was horrible. She knew very little about animals and they had a lot of losses, the new managers are much better and strive to make sure everyone gets proper care and goes to good homes. If we feel people interested in animals are obviously going to be bad owners we can call over a manager to refuse to sell it to them. The only thing we can't completely refuse is fish unless they are repeat offenders.

Also, see you tomorrow at the betta show :D
Old 05-12-2012, 02:46 AM   #8 
Sakura8

It makes no sense to hire someone with no animal knowledge to manage a pet store. It's like hiring an Amish man to run an auto repair shop.

I'm really glad you were able to get tomorrow off from work. :D
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:32 AM   #9 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
It makes no sense to hire someone with no animal knowledge to manage a pet store. It's like hiring an Amish man to run an auto repair shop.

I'm really glad you were able to get tomorrow off from work. :D
The other new girl in pet care knows very little about fish and other animals, she does have a pet dog though. I was kinda surprised she wasn't in the pet hotel, she's learning fast though and asks a lot of questions which is very good.

I started learning how to be a back up cashier today, it's going to take a few try's before I get it down lol. I'm glad I only have to do it as back up XD

Getting Saturday off wasn't hard, since it was my first week it was ok that I had something preplanned and wouldn't be available.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #10 
Tikibirds

i have applied to petco so many time sin both alaska and here. It makes me mad because the people hey DO hire have no idea how to care for most animals. petsmart seems to be better but they are about 40 mins away. The manager in Alaska was clueless but nice. The one here seems like she has a bug up her butt
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote