Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 05:54 AM   #1 
MrVampire181

Costs of Breeding

Here's a guide detailing how much breeding costs. All costs are USD. If the math is off, my bad it's 5 am and I can't sleep. Costs may vary slightly from location to location.

Nice, proper breeding stock: $30-$100
Tanks to house your pair: $20-$50
Frozen food to condition your pair: $10
Atison Pro to condition your pair: $5

Total at lowest - $65

Breeding tank:

Tank - $10
Light hood - $20
Bulbs - $15
Heater - $25
Sponge filter - $5
Plastic plants - $10
Glass chimney - $2
Almond leaf - $20 for a year supply of grade C
Styrofoam cup - $5 for a pack
Air pump - $10
Airline tubing - $5
Thermometer - $3
Size 3 net - $2

Total - $132

Grow out tank:

Tank - $75 for a 30 gallon
Heater - $25
Sponge filter - $15

Total -$115

Fry purchases:

Food cultures - $15
Brine shrimp eggs - $40 a can (yikes)
At least 50 jars - $1-$2 each

Total at lowest - $105

Recommended purchases:

Python or similar water changer - $50
Plastic tubs for water treatment - $10 each
Medications - $40

Total - $100

Total costs of spawning: $517 (yikes!). If you can't afford it, don't do it. This doesn't factor in shelving units or electric and water bills...
Old 05-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #2 
betta lover1507

nice anywhere to get IAL in the U.S.? just curious, it may save a few bucks
Old 05-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

WoW......over $500.00........I haven't spent that much total in the 12 years I have been working on this line and I have had well over 100 spawns......It didn't cost me that much for all my tanks, lights, plants, foods...etc.........
I must shop at a different store......or maybe the natural method is just lower cost....

For a one time spawn to see if its something you want to do.....IMO you could do it for about $50.00 or less and still successfully spawn and rear the fry to adults....A lot of the items you can find in your kitchen, thrift shops and in your yard.....

Lots of different ways to successfully spawn and rear fry...it can cost you a lot or as little that you want.....sometimes you have to get creative.....
Old 05-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #4 
Junglist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
WoW......over $500.00........I haven't spent that much total in the 12 years I have been working on this line and I have had well over 100 spawns......It didn't cost me that much for all my tanks, lights, plants, foods...etc.........
I must shop at a different store......or maybe the natural method is just lower cost....

For a one time spawn to see if its something you want to do.....IMO you could do it for about $50.00 or less and still successfully spawn and rear the fry to adults....A lot of the items you can find in your kitchen, thrift shops and in your yard.....

Lots of different ways to successfully spawn and rear fry...it can cost you a lot or as little that you want.....sometimes you have to get creative.....
I agree OFL I've never spent on betta supplies theirs other way to be economical especially with this economy like going to your LPS to see if they have any tanks and supplies there not using for a fair price or you can checkout Craiglist just make sure you have an adult with you, Thrift stores and local neighbors or friends that have aquatic stuff they have tucked away

The most I've spent of a set of brand new equipment and supplies is a little over a $120 w/ food

10 gal $15
20 gal $35
Air pump $10
Lighting $10 (Ikea)
Valves $5
Net $2
Thermometer $3
Heater $15
Sponge Filter $15
Water Conditioner $8
Airline tube $5
Live Plants $10
Fry food $20 a month
Large Clear Solo Cups $15 (separation time)
Foam Cup..... Priceless

Optional:
IAL $15 w/ shipping... A little goes a long way
(Atison IAL extract) $15 w/ shipping
Snails- $6
Old 05-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #5 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta lover1507 View Post
nice anywhere to get IAL in the U.S.? just curious, it may save a few bucks
These trees do not grow in the USA. Just order from ebay. The shipping is free anyway.

Jeff.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

These are initial start up costs for one spawn. I know some people who have invested over $2000 in their first spawns.

There are cheaper methods but I recommend the good ol traditional method for starters.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffegg2 View Post
These trees do not grow in the USA. Just order from ebay. The shipping is free anyway.

Jeff.
I use native Oak leaf for my tannin source.....they are 99% the same as IAL per Leo Buss spectrographic analysis.

If you have oak trees near by....collect naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf......For FREE......
Old 05-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #8 
Sakura8

The cost might seem a little high but in all reality, many of the supplies listed are things that a good aquarist will have on hand already. The majority of us have spare tanks, spare plants, spare . . . well, lots of spare things. XD The only additional costs would most likely be the food cultures and the glass chimney. For some of us who must breed in a limited space or live in a household that has limited tolerance for our hobby, live food cultures may be optional. While live food is certainly the best way, it is possible to successfully rear a spawn using frozen foods and commercially prepared fry foods.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #9 
jeffegg2

Cool

I would also add to this a good liquid fresh water test kit. about 20 bucks. I just received mine and it is showing me already where I am lax.....

Now indispensable to my outfit!!

Jeff.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #10 
Curlyfatbottom

500 seem about right
Starting with nothing
Time n effort will add up
Gas for traviling(4.40 per a gallon arco),water bill(run by the meter), n eletic bill
Your paying little at a time with out adding to the cost of breeding.
Me getting started
Never pick a single pair to breed
Always 2 trio if one don't work
It can range me for 60-150
2k+ are big breeder for the long run.
Closed Thread