Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Yahooanswers sucks, so... velcro dog?

Okay I wanna ask some real down to earth non-screaming, non-judgemental or assuming arses. Putting it nicely for Y.A

Gurgi: 2 year old pomeranian, westland terrier, ****zu cross. His first home obviously did not potty train him very well... At night if he isn't in the same room with us he'll poop upstairs I got training pads... Not that... I know what to do... o_O Tips on that?

Anxiety: I looked it up, and it says treats and toys. He is scared of toys and won't eat treats

His symptoms:

- pacing back and forth between 1-2 hours (the most I've let him). Today I put him on the leash when Dean left and after a while took him off the leash - no pacing =D
- peeing and pooping everywhere. On cushions, squatted on the floor, on the carpet (I cleaned this freaking carpet so many times and now this?!)
- whining or barking - which is rare. It's usually just pacing.
- He needs to be crated... And he whines and sulks in the crate. Yesterdya I sat in the house while he was in the crate. After a while he didn't care.
- VELCRO DOG!!! I can't get him off me! D: I can go pee without a dog there ya know >:( But obviously not -facepalm-

So..... anyone got tips? How to unvelcro Velcro Dog? The whining doesn't happen much, but I would like to break this anxiety. Since it is not as bad as my dad's dog (who is SEVERE to a point she hurts herself)...

And a sad side note... If it cannot be dealt with, since I told my landlord the dog doesn't bark (except with people at the door which is easy to train him out of.), he was supposedly house trained, and crate trained. He escaped the crate (problem fixed) and made it so I may have to contact the previous people who rescued him because we cannot keep him if this keeps up!! I personally became more stressed around my dad's dog because it became MY responsibilty MY problem MY dog :( And I don't want that feeling!
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #2 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Okay I wanna ask some real down to earth non-screaming, non-judgemental or assuming arses. Putting it nicely for Y.A

Gurgi: 2 year old pomeranian, westland terrier, ****zu cross. His first home obviously did not potty train him very well... At night if he isn't in the same room with us he'll poop upstairs I got training pads... Not that... I know what to do... o_O Tips on that?

Anxiety: I looked it up, and it says treats and toys. He is scared of toys and won't eat treats

His symptoms:

- pacing back and forth between 1-2 hours (the most I've let him). Today I put him on the leash when Dean left and after a while took him off the leash - no pacing =D
- peeing and pooping everywhere. On cushions, squatted on the floor, on the carpet (I cleaned this freaking carpet so many times and now this?!)
- whining or barking - which is rare. It's usually just pacing.
- He needs to be crated... And he whines and sulks in the crate. Yesterdya I sat in the house while he was in the crate. After a while he didn't care.
- VELCRO DOG!!! I can't get him off me! D: I can go pee without a dog there ya know >:( But obviously not -facepalm-

So..... anyone got tips? How to unvelcro Velcro Dog? The whining doesn't happen much, but I would like to break this anxiety. Since it is not as bad as my dad's dog (who is SEVERE to a point she hurts herself)...

And a sad side note... If it cannot be dealt with, since I told my landlord the dog doesn't bark (except with people at the door which is easy to train him out of.), he was supposedly house trained, and crate trained. He escaped the crate (problem fixed) and made it so I may have to contact the previous people who rescued him because we cannot keep him if this keeps up!! I personally became more stressed around my dad's dog because it became MY responsibilty MY problem MY dog :( And I don't want that feeling!
Potty training, like other types of training takes considerble effort.
Unlike your dad's dog, THIS dog,, you have chosen to bring home, IS your responsibility,your dog,your problem. If you don't want the responsibility....
How long is the dog crated during the day? how many trips outside each day to encourage the animal to poop/pee outdooors?
How long have you had the dog?
Who work's with the dog?
Dog's I have potty trained were much younger than two year's old and I confined the animal to one room during the day while I was at work with newspaper covering the entire room's floor.
Each day,I let the dog out first thing of a morning before leaving for work to do it's buisness and i did not bring him/her in until they had pooped/peed/
When I came home from work, I took the dog out again, and then replaced the newspaper with new and each day,,I simply reduced the amount of newspaper and the dog eventually got to the point where it would only squat over newspaper which ultimately was reduced to one small area, or outdoors.
Anxiety sometimes can be helped by recording your voices on answering machine, and then calling a couple times a day or more, and dog will here your voices when answering machine play's message you have left.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #3 
Sena Hansler

.... I know he is my responsibility. I never ever said he wasn't. I don't want him to be my PROBLEM that is the thing! Minor problems like fear, and all is alright those are easy to deal with. most anxiety dogs I've dealt with NEVER get better and you end up having to cage them all the time, drug them, or rehome them
I want a dog, NOT a problem. I don't want to hate coming home knowing my landlord would FLIP if he knew the dog peed everywhere. He let us have a dog, because he trusted us.

The dog is only ever crated an hour a day if both of us work. He USED to be crated 12-24 hours in his abusive home (which is SO stupid to do to the poor dog). He's no longer scared of the crate with us luckily. If anything, max is 2 hours.

He is usually outside most of the day, with or without me (tied with a 15 foot leash or on walks with me, or visiting his bud Buddy in a fenced yard.) Or, to break it up, he goes outside every couple/few hours.

He's been with me since April 29.

I'd have to newspaper the WALLS if he were confined in the room the only room I could have him in, it gets really hot in there and humid, and then it reeks to high heavens with him in there - we tried it. Then we tried keeping the door open, with a baby gate aaaand the westland terrier in him hopped over and made a mess of the house

also I do not have an answering machine... I do not have a house phone.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #4 
BeckyFish97

He understands what his food is now, so when he goes to the toilet on the training mat, make sure you have some food ready to give to him, and lots of attention, tickle him in "that spot" (all dogs have it :P ) tell him he's a good boy, once he has this idea, start to move the mat slowly towards the door, when you get it to the door he has learned that is the place to go, then introduce him to the idea of peeing/pooping outside. For the pacing: everytime he starts to pace, do something to take his mind off of the fact that he is not happy about something (like the lead thing)
For the peeing everywhere, tell him NO as soon as he does it, in a calm, but clearly unimpressed voice.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...adult-dog.html
This link may help.
For the velcro dog, Show him around the bathroom, next: this will sound crazy, but next time you go to the toilet leave the door open.Don't let him in with you, make sure he can see you, but not come in with you. Gradually close the door everytime you go in the bathroom.If he knows it is safe, and that nothing can happen to you, he will understand.He needs to learn the difference between, together time, and my time, it will come to him eventually, but it will take time!!!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

thanks Becky I actually did catch him one time peeing in the house. The first thing I said was "BAD!" and he sulked off lol. I got the leash brought him back upstairs and "time out" happened right next to the pee spot. He wouldn't move until I said he could.

What about the anxiety?
Old 05-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #6 
BeckyFish97

The anxiety...Seperation, or just anxiety even when you're there?
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

separation anxiety...

well...

When we both are out of the house together or spearate times, he HAS to be crated because he poops/pees everywhere.

When I leave, he paces, 30 minutes to 1 hour with my bf there.
When my bf leaves he whines, paces for 1-2 hours... SO ANYONE leaves he panics That's why today I broke his pacing thing by leashing him to me.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #8 
sparkyjoe

Oh, I do not envy you this situation and I would NEVER judge because I had to rehome a dog due to Separation Anxiety.

In my situation I got a 14 month old Standard Poodle from her breeder. I was told she was housebroken, and used to being kenneled when the breeder went to work all day. In reality the poor girl was not overly housebroken, and she threw a fit whenever I stepped out of the house (barking, howling, poo & pee, etc.) she also gave me that "OMG I thought you had left me here all alone FOREVER!!" greeting when I got home.

I'm currently on medical leave dealing with a health situation, so she was not left for long, and since I'm sick (and live alone) it was making my health worse to have to come home to a nasty mess to clean up.

Unfortunately after speaking to several trainers about my situation I had to make the shattering choice to return her to the breeder's care. She was placed with an elderly man who already has another dog and she's doing great.

Happily, not all situations have to end like this, and I can't really diagnose true SA, but some of the things that were recommended to me are:

- Conditioning - Very, very slowly increase the amount of time the dog is left alone. If you can only step out for 5 seconds before the dog gets anxious, then leave for 4 seconds are return. Basically ignore the dog when you return. Never return when the dog is barking and throwing a fit.

- Exercise - Try to drain the dog's energy before you have to leave. Westies can be little bundles of action, as can Poms. A really, really tired dog is less likely to have the energy to throw much of a fit for long.

Leave Routine - I got mixed input about whether or not I should use a routine when I leave such as saying a particular phrase. In my opinion if I said "I'll be home soon" and then left and *came back* then the dog starts to learn that pattern and won't be as anxious. Watch your routine when you leave. If it's SA you'll generally see the dog start to get anxious when it see's the subtle signs that you are even thinking about leaving.

- Thundershirt - I did get a somewhat positive reaction to the Thundershirt.

- Herbals - Look into the "calming" herbs like Valarian and Chamomile.

- Prescription Drugs - Things like Prozac *can* be helpful, but they can take weeks to start showing any effect. Talk to your vet and try to get started the dog started on them soon.

- Kongs and "special treats" - Stuff a Kong with peanut butter, or even canned dog food, maybe even layer it with other treats, and then pop it in the freezer. Only use these special treats when you leave the house.

There may be more but the nurse is on her way to my room and I don't want to loose what I've typed.

Last edited by sparkyjoe; 05-16-2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: I'm in the hospital for testing, hence the nurse reference.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Only problem with drugging is it is expensive here, and the dog can only use it for 90 days until it becomes dangerous to their health :( we looked it up for my dad's dog.
And the little poopr ignores peanut butter and treats and toys x.x (geesh he makes it hard). Basically his "mental exercise" is people which is bad because that is what caused the SA
Old 05-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #10 
CaseyA

Sena, I am a huge fan of Pat Miller's dog training techniques. Her website is at http://www.peaceablepaws.com. She has an article about separation anxiety at http://www.peaceablepaws.com/article...cat=1&type=Pat that might help. She also has a blog that might help.

When you clean the carpets do you use a scent neutralizer? Soap won't remove the scent of urine and feces from the carpet and padding, and the dog will return to that spot over and over because his scent is there. I used a product called Nature's Miracle while housebreaking my dog for that very purpose.

It sounds like you have to start potty training from the very beginning. It CAN be done and it CAN be successful. You do the same thing you'd do with a pup. Crating and keeping the dog within arms' reach is absolutely necessary, as is positive reinforcement when the dog goes outside. This is a good summary. http://www.peaceablepaws.com/article...cat=1&type=Pat

Good luck! Since your dog's behavior has been reinforced (even unintentionally) for so long it's going to take time and commitment from everyone in the house to help him learn new behaviors. It can be done, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
CaseyA is offline   Reply With Quote