Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #91 
Sena Hansler

I will also be talking to my neighbor, about her kids. One of them was scaring the bejeezus out of poor Gurgi while he was outside WITH HIS BIKE. Yes, little children, scare my fearful dog even more looks like I have to lay the rules down for more than MY household D:
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:42 PM   #92 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

The way his legs are turned in/out is a sign of bad breeding, since in most breeds you want to keep the legs straight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:48 AM   #93 
Sena Hansler

yeah, plus his one leg looks "off" to me... :/ but hey, he probably could've been a mill dog or a "I let my dog breed because I didn't spay her" situation. which both are pretty darn common :(
Old 05-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #94 
Laki

What kind of dog is it again?? My terrier mutt's paws faced outwards when he stood still and he never had a problem! There were no bows in his legs though, so I don't know if there's a difference in your Gurgi.

Neighborhood kids used to taunt my dog too, with hockey sticks, skateboards and sticks. It got so bad we had to only let him in the backyard tied to a clothesline and supervised so as soon as the kids came we could reel the dog in.. :( sad thing, he was too focused on the kids to listen to us.

There's nothing you can do about the kids. Their parents won't care (obviously, because the kids shouldn't be doing it in the first place) and the kids will only get worse if you try to tell them to stop. Maybe just take Gurgi outside when the kids are down the road and try to avoid them, all the while talking good things to him.

Peeing in the crate because of a history of doing so might be near impossible to break. Any separation behaviour is the hardest to correct and train because it happens while nobody is home. Sorry, I couldn't kennel train my dog (especially after he got his teeth stuck in the bars and nearly broke his jaw) so I cannot offer advice there :(

Patience is bliss. Learning to adjust to a semi-broken dog is hard. The dog is confused and I know you're on the right track to healing him :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #95 
Sena Hansler

He is a westland terrier, ****zu, pomeranian. West ****zanian?

His legs have bows in it D: Or at least to me it seems abnormal... It's mainly the left leg. His foot is bowed, and turned out more when he sits or walks. His leg seems bent oddly, even though the other one is.

Also, I've noticed his tail has been hurting him? I do not feel any ridges or curves or anything, but since they DID have a 6 year old who bullied him (grrr what people teach their children!) it's very possible there's permanent damage :(

I'll get a pic of him here soon.

It's easier on weekdays for the kids, as it's 800-830 for school, then 300-430 from school -.- I caught the little snot too - he had his back wheel of his bike on the leash, and the front one waving over my dog.

Yeah, my dad's dog used to rub her nose raw grabbing a hold of the bars and pulling them in - making her mouth bleed and her teeth break!! So I know how difficult kennel training can be for some doggies :p For him he sounds like a puppy

I think what I might do, is when I am off, have him in there a few times for a short time, let him out, get him outside, bring him in and all over again an hour or so later, increasing the time in the kennel?

edit: ... okay I edited the picture to be the proper view, instead of sideways, and if it doesn't work again I am sorry ><
Attached Images

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 05-19-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #96 
Laki

oh my gawd isn't he just the cutest!!! I wouldn't leave him outside unattended anymore though. God knows what the kids might try next. I think I see the bow but if it doesn't seem to affect his walking, maybe it's a birth thing? Hopefully. The way his paws turn out doesn't seem too bad (unless the vet decides there is). My dogs feet used to do that too, as I said, and he lived to be 14 without anything other than arthritis affecting his legs. (I don't want to spam your thread with a pic of his feet... unless you want me too :) )
Old 05-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #97 
Sena Hansler

haha go ahead :p Well the one thing that is worrying me is his tail... We usually play, but when I went "I got your tail!" which btw held loosely, as always, and he gave out the loudest yelp and slinked off! :( When we go into the vet for his vaccinations I want him to check that too :( I guess I do feel a "bump" in the middle of his tail
Old 05-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #98 
Laki

This was 2 years ago. I think the paws here look like Gurgi's. Spindly but pointed out.
As for the tail (lol at the "got your tail") I guess there could be a fracture in the disc's there :( I'd say just be careful. Dogs are known to exxagerate their pain for attention so if he's not doing that I assume it's not bothering him unless someone grabs it!
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #99 
Sena Hansler

Well it's been a few times recently he's been yelping - not a "leave me be" yelp but a down to earth "OUCH!!!" yelp :( I never stepped on it as far as I am concerned... Unless my boyfriend's younger brother did? It's very possible.
We don't play like that anymore because I don't want to hurt him -.-

And I see what you mean about your dog :p
Old 05-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #100 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

When the legs stick outward it's called cow hocked- it's a birth thing I'm guessing since both sides are pretty even. It really shouldn't affect him that much (just he'd be a bad show dog specimen.)

Maybe he has bad memories of kids grabbing his tail and just doesn't like it, since you say you found no sore looking areas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote