Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #101 
Sena Hansler

Yeah but I'm no expert. And the thing is I do that to him alot, and he doesnt really care. just recently it's been hurting him - it's not a "I don't like it" yelp as if he doesn't like it he slinks off or shuts down
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #102 
BeckyFish97

Ok does his tail have any major flicks in the fur around the tender spot?This can indicate underlying problems eg:a slipped disk, pulled muscle etc.
Number 2 is:
Q: Why does my dog go nuts and tear up my house every time I leave? How can I stop this from happening?
A: This is separation anxiety. The excessive chewing to relieve the stress it feels. Continual barking. Pacing. Whining. Sometimes, if it’s really excessive, a dog will chew through walls. I’ve had dogs jump through windows, through glass, to get outside. Most of the destruction is centered on points of exit.
You have to do what I call independence training. You have to stop the hyper-attachment. You have to give your dog the ability to cope. I desensitize a dog to departure triggers, for instance. The dog’s watching you. You’re putting on your clothes, you’re putting on your make up, you get your keys, and the stress starts when you’re putting on your makeup. He knows you’re going to leave, so he starts to fret and get very anxious. So we start to desensitize him to the triggers. You put on your makeup and you don’t leave. You put on your coat and you stay in the house. You break your ritual completely. You go out the door and you come right back. And you do it 50 times a day.

Q: Can my dog be cured of his fears and anxieties? Or do I just have to learn how to control his problems?
A: A lot of dogs can be modified to a point where they don’t suffer from it any more, but I don’t ever like to use the word “cured.”
A lot of cases can be 90%, 95% made better. Some just 60%. Separation anxiety is one of the hardest, because it’s so difficult to work with. And aggression. Aggression is wildly misunderstood, but when it is understood it can take a while for a dog to feel confident and calm.
There’s no amazing quick fix. You’re talking about behavior. You’re talking about the way the brain reacts. If you’re a human, and you’ve got a real anxiety, you’re not going to get better after just one visit to the psychiatrist. It’s going to take a lot of therapy to get you to the point where you feel better. And, it’s exactly the same with the dogs.

Just something I found-This is victoria stilwell-or I think thats what she's called, in my eyes her methods are GOLDEN, I've never tried one yet that hasn't worked!!!There was a paticular episode that I remember focused on seperation anxiety, I'm trying to find the link to it now!

You may want to have a look through some of the episodes of it's me or the dog usa, some of her methods are absolute genius!Was he checked by a vet?Did they mention anything about his thyroid?Sometimes it can cause irratic behaviour-maybe check that out?I just remembered while looking through her vids.

Last edited by BeckyFish97; 05-19-2012 at 01:06 PM.
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #103 
Sena Hansler

hehe I do that!!! I put a jacket on. Or my shoes. O rgrab my keys. then go on the computer :p

flicks in the fur...? Do you have a picture of that? He has the long poofy tail of a pomeranian it only curls at the very end of his tail bone, which isn't the problem spot.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #104 
LittleBettaFish

Have you tried taking him to a vet or a good Chiropractor for a check-up? Our puppy did something to her pelvis that was causing her to walk and run funny and a couple of visits to the Chiropractor and she was back to normal.

If he is experiencing chronic or continual pain, this could be adding fuel to the fire of his already existing anxiety and housebreaking issues.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #105 
Sena Hansler

chirporactor? o_o here All we have is half nitwits, people who only deal with horses or large animals, or people who deal with dogs/cats but not to a point like chiropractors, except to pay a pretty penny to go to stuff like... -brain died- The treatments to gain strength in a dog's muscles, via water.

but when we do get him in for shots, I'll talk to the vet.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #106 
Sena Hansler

-Sigh- yes, let's take an unexperienced person's "knowledge" to the bank and call it an invention.

Apparently my bf's mother says the pacing is because "he is an energetic dog". And no, it's not. I've dealt with lazy, energetic, anxiety, and boredom dogs... His is a stiff "I'm lost/confused/worried" pacing, not a "I WANNA PLAY! =D" pacing.

But hey, everyone against me right? Let's feed the dog people food, let's spoil him and treat him like a child, and let's let him pace for 3 hours on end even AFTER a walk, and especially after someone leaves

You know.. sadly.. as much as I like my dog, obviously no one is on track and anything I do the people around me will set back. In the best interest of Gurgi, I may need to find him a new home, if the old owners don't take him (which I told them I'd ask them first if ANYTHING happened!) Which SUCKS.

edit: They are basing the pacing off of TEHIR dog, who paces and...surprise surprise... ALSO has anxiety issues, which they'll deny. "Nahhh that's normal." So you know what... My dog is going to suffer imensely. So I don't really have a choice, I'd rather give the dog a chance with someone else then be stuck in this group of people who cannot agree on what SHOULD be done.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 05-20-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #107 
Laki

Aw :( Maybe you can ask the spca to help you find him a home with someone experienced with special needs dogs. Not that he's special needs, but he needs someone who is totally prepared for the behaviour :(
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #108 
Sena Hansler

Yeah It's not fair to him. For me, getting a dog was supposed to be rewarding, something to do, considering I do not get many hours for work. But it's going to turn into a horrible mess at this rate. D:
Old 05-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #109 
LionCalie

Didn't his previous home abuse him? Sorry, I cannot remember the details.

He is your dog, correct? Then why are you letting other peoples ignorant comments dictate if you keep him or not? You know they have no clue what they are talking about. If they are undermining his training progress with their ignorance... well I could see how that is not a good situation for Gurgi to be in. It must be very confusing for him.

What a sad situation all around.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #110 
Sena Hansler

Lol it's confusing.. His "first" owners were the abusive home. the people who had him last, had him for a short time and only to remove him from that abusive home and provide him with safety. But, they had a male dog who didn't like him, one lady had a kid, and they no longer had the time for him.

Well, the thing is when I live with someone they need to be on the right track. When he keeps questioning me, the dog gets nowhere. Especially when whatsherface and knowitall pipe up and he'll believe them over me.

If the lady who had him last doesn't reply, I will find him a new home and I will be 100% choosy, want to meet the people, and would prefer someone older and possibly has a PROPERLY fenced house...