Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #131 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Sena if you need help making an oil infusion with herbs yourself I can help you out with that. :) I know you're a DIY kind of person. :)

Zara will sometimes refuse fine deli cuts. She hates sausage too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #132 
Sena Hansler

Dogs are weird.
And like children.
Now I know what to expect from children, since I have a dog.
And I don't think you can give THEM away

Well, I can't get fresh awesome stuff, I do have dried chamomile and marjoram, I have no idea if candles would help but since it would be when I was not home they can't be lit. I also have dried roses. Because...hellooo artist

I read somewhere, Valerian is the step up from Chamomile for strength then St John's Wort, which my dad's dog needs St John's Wort. Hopefully Gurgi only needs chamomile!
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #133 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Doesn't need to be fresh to make oils. Some infusions will take a couple weeks to complete, but you can speed it up by boiling (I'd have to look into whether boiling will ruin the medicinal properties we are after however..)
Another good one is Lemon Balm, Melissa officinalis. It's safe for dogs and is quite calming. Valerian is another good one that's pretty fast acting.
St. John's Wort is definitely one you can find in the herbal tea section (usually lemon balm as well, not sure about valerian). Another good one that you may not know of is oats, which my book recommends combining with St. John's Wort.

Now for cautions: People medicine, I know a thing or two about. Dogs are totally different, I had to look up online if the lemon balm was safe for dogs for example. You're best off talking to your vet before trying anything with him. People tend to think that herbs are nice, safe alternatives with no side effects. Of course, almost all of our powerful scary drugs come from herbal extracts, just mixed up a little more. Improper use of herbs can be just as damaging to the body as any other drugs (I myself experienced this several years ago).
I don't think you can overdose anything via skin application so I'd start by trying that if you can't get a professional to talk to. Taking things internally is much more risky. The chamomile and marjoram are pretty weak so not much worry, but anything else needs to be looked into more.
They do sell over the counter herbal remedy things for animals, which are usually in such low doses that they can't be a danger, if that's what you want to try first.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #134 
Sena Hansler

Well the problem with the vets here, they'll push you to get the junk they sell which btw is 90 dollars PER MONTH (bottle) and cannot exceed 90 days, and can make the dog seriously ill we went through this with my dad's dog. Hopefully I can find a decent one.

PLUS someone to look over his tail. Xrays will cost me groceries and home so that won't be able to happen especially fi I want him neutered

I do have a thought... I'll post a picture of a diagram of my upstairs. and where he paces. I've been blocking with random stuff like boxes and such to keep him from pacing...
Old 05-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #135 
LittleBettaFish

Why don't you just ask your vet about medications that may help with your dog's anxiety? If it's getting to the point of re-homing I really think it's something you should consider.

Like I said earlier in this thread, off his medication our cat sprays on everything, is more aggressive towards our other cat and is generally a lot more neurotic and prone to having accidents. On his medication he is much more relaxed and very rarely sprays. He is also much calmer around our other cat and seems to have more inhibitions in regards to his risk-taking behaviour.

Medication can help break the cycle as once your dog becomes overanxious and overexcited, the window for any productive learning snaps shut. The dog isn't going to be listening or focusing and it's going to be a pretty pointless training session.

Also as sad or cruel as this sounds, but if it does come to rehoming and you can't find a suitable home or rescue to take him in I would advise euthanasia. Sounds like he has a lot of issues and in a world where even healthy, sane dogs end up at shelters and on death row, sometimes being surrounded by the people he knows and trusts while being put to sleep, is the best gift you can give. So many dogs like this one do not have happy endings at all, and it's sad because 9 times out of 10 it is entirely the fault of their owners.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #136 
Sena Hansler

I won't euthanise. If he can't get a home, he stays, and we'll have to budget for whatever the dog needs. Euthanasia is not an option to me unless the dog/animal is aggressive and it cannot be reversed or is dangerous to children, the dog is in severe pain or has a brain problem such as a tumor, or such high problems. Even with my fish - old, sickly, "dying", I give them a chance, why wouldn't I give a dog a chance? Same with guineas. Ginger would've been euthanised. Shaggy would've been euthanised.

Talk about brain problems - I do wonder if there was some damage considering he used to be tossed about like a sack of flour?

His anxiety isn't EXTREME as I've seen in other dogs, but I am renting and peeing/pooping on the carpet is a no no. We have to put him in the crate upstairs, for bedtime now, because I won't move the crate back and forth, down and up the stairs he learned to stick his but to the edge, or pee OUTSIDE the kennel -facepalm- so he DOES have a concience of "eew sitting in my watse is nasty."

He listens when I tell him to stop pacing. All I have to say now is, "lay down" or "stop pacing" and he lays beneath my chair or with Dean. He sits without command when I put down food, or treats, and he no longer bolts out the door (thank god -.-). It's not like he's an unruly, incapable dog that's brain dead But the peeing/pooping HAS to stop! My landlord will be VERY upset with us.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #137 
Sena Hansler

double posting my own thread

The diagram is of the upstairs in my house. The red lines is the pacing area he does.... two different ways of course. The one into the kitchen is the one he does the most. The orange "!" is where he's peed/pooped. And that...is why he is crated. But like I said the little fluff rat sticks his bum out and poops OUTSIDE the kennel I think we need a closed kennel for that problem. Getting him to know it's not okay to poop in a kennel (or outside of it while being in it!) since he obviously knows it's nasty to sit in your own waste.

The stairs I will be adding a baby gate infront of. Hopefully he isn't dumb enough to hop over it DOWN the stairs! If he is well.....errr.... ?

Might use a baby gate or such methods for the (viewing right) entrance to the kitchen by the pantry. Not sure about the other side. It's easier when I am NOT here too, and Dean is home since Dean could care less if the dog paces.

Anyways, the babygate for the stairs helps the defecating downstairs. (which now I have to clean AGAIN) keeps him out of the bathroom garbage and not drinking from my fish tanks
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #138 
LittleBettaFish

As you said you are renting if the going indoors doesn't stop, are you willing to be evicted and have to find somewhere to live that will permit a dog to make a mess all over the flooring to keep him?

While it's nice to say that every animal deserves a second chance and should have a loving home, sometimes reality gets in the way. Knowing first-hand how much damage an animal going inside can cause long-term it is within your landlord's rights to make you get rid of the dog. Unless you own your own house, you might not have a choice as to whether he stays or goes.

I only mentioned euthanasia as I would hate to see you be forced to get rid of him by the landlord, and then for him to be handballed from home to home before ending up at a shelter. It takes a very tolerant owner to put up with ruined flooring and a dog his age that is still not completely toilet-trained.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #139 
Sena Hansler

He'd stay in the family. If he wasn't able to get a home, parts of my family and my boyfriend's will take him.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #140 
Laki

Valerian root is effective!! It puts them to nappies. Be FOREWARNED they smell like bums, not even exaggeration. I used to have to jam a melatonin pill down my dog's throat but he'd eat the valerian @-@' Together, the 2 herbs calmed my dog's anxiety for a while.

There's also a product called Rescue Remedy. The dosage for a 10-15 lb dog is like 3 drops.. I gave a whole syringe and sometimes more to my dog without adverse reaction, we just needed a higher dose. :)

Good luck!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote