Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #141 
Sena Hansler

I've hear dof rescue remedy and found it online... I'd have to look up more about it :)

Lol valerian smells like bums. Delightful xD
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #142 
Laki

Not even kidding. It's gross!! lol But effective. I used all 3 "meds" on my dog. If your dog has less anxiety than mine did, you should be fine!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #143 
Sena Hansler

haha great.

Well, the chamomile doesn't do anything. Or if it does, it is very minimal. So we'll try homemade essential oils next!
Old 05-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #144 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hmm by home made I assume you mean home made.
It's impossible to extract essential oils at home, you have to work with the whole plant.
Anyways, you will need, vegetable oil (that is dog friendly), the dried herb, a double boiler (aka a pot of water with a small pot of herb and oil on top), and some dark bottles (or bottles kept in a dark place).

Are you going to be rubbing it around his face or making him eat it?
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #145 
Sena Hansler

Probably work with external before internal.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #146 
Shirleythebetta

I'm going to subscribe because I want to know if this works. I have a doggy (bassett/beagle) who has anxiety. She has lived in at least four homes and doesn't understand that this is her forever home yet. Paces and freaks when we leave or crys when she is outside on the lead with me and can't reach me. It would be nice if oils work. She is a hound though so I can't stick something strong smelling on her or she will have a sneeze fit and I will have slobbers everywhere.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:11 AM   #147 
Sena Hansler

hey a basset/beagle! That's my dad's dog.

I find beagles and bassets both are prone to that anxiety, which is really bad. Jewelz, was pregnant, put in the SPCA, her babies taken and she was spayed all in three days. Imagine how that would feel! We were recommended to try ST John's Wort on her :/ or a heavy duty drug the vets give :( but for the vet drugs they can only have it for a certain time, it makes them like zombies, and can cause long term damage -.-

Your doggy though, may not be as bad as Jewelz xD She's destroyed a kennel by trying to escape (and almost did three times), plus broke her teeth on the doorknobs, destroyed the screen door, put some dents here and there AND chewed the base-board and framing ><
Old 05-31-2012, 10:25 AM   #148 
shadowpony

All these poor dogies... I hate how people dont cater to their dogs needs. Anyone who has rescued a dog has my thanks. It's nice to know there are sane people in the world.
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #149 
Sena Hansler

sane?! Oh...right >.> :p
Old 05-31-2012, 05:57 PM   #150 
Ramble

Well, it's good to see you're working with such a challenging dog (and a cutie!), as a lot of folks would have bailed by now.
Did I see that your dog is unneutered? If so, neutering could calm him down and help with the peeing at least. Dogs need to feel someone is in control, and if he came from a really stressful owner, he may just be trying to find that control in constant vigilance (pacing), whining for attention, and peeing (both marking and nerves) . Neutering will help some of that, and obedience training to build confidence will also make him feel safer, as it shows him you are in control of the 'pack' and will watch out for him. If you can find a basic class, at a local park or school, that's a great start.
As for doggie chiropractic, my chihuahua has gone, and it worked wonders for his back. Check with vet colleges and chiropractic schools. A lot of them have low-cost or even free treatments in a learning environment, and your dog gets to see that not all people are jerks...
It doesn't sound like anything more than stress, but you could always get the little guy in to check a urinalysis and stool sample just to make sure it's not something medical going on- if the other owners didn't care for him well, he could have some quirks in there. Sounds like you're working hard, though. If you can get the bf on the same page as you, your dog will calm as well, as he won't be picking up on the stress between you and the bf...
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote