Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #31 
LittleBettaFish

So is he going to the toilet in his crate? If so that's going to be extremely hard to stop. As soon as you notice him getting restless, dropping his nose to sniff around or look like he is thinking of going I would put him outside and leave him there until he has gone.

Then make the biggest fuss you can over him that he has gone in the right spot. Tons and tons of praise so that he will see that eliminating outside is the right thing to do.

We use 'go to toilet' with our dogs to see if they need to go outside (they will all run to the door and sit there if they do) and then tell them to 'do wee' once they are outside. It doesn't take them too long to figure out what you are asking if you get the timing right and give a reward always for good behaviour.

If he is eliminating in the house you need to watch him like a hawk. Any actions that even hint that he is thinking of using that area as the potty means it's time to go outside.

The dog has to learn it does not get to come inside until it has gone to the toilet. Even if this takes an hour, he has to stay out there until he is done.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #32 
Sena Hansler

Yeah since we have upstairs/downstairs I tend to lock "us" upstairs because I don't want him sulking away to do his business downstairs x.x
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #33 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Good advice given.
I wouldn't knock those special sweaters. It's been proven that they are calming, they squeeze down on a dogs chest which produces a calming effect, it's like a hug.
Temple Grandin is a famous autistic person who did a lot of research on it for people, she has bouts of anxiety/stress, and she says being squeezed by it helps her a lot. It also calms down most animals, it gives a feeling of security.
Also, for the treats thing, since this dog is motivated by you, have you tried just turning eating treats into a game? My boxer hated dog treats, until I praised her everytime she ate one, now she sees the treat as a reward.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #34 
Sena Hansler

I've been working on it xDD
Old 05-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #35 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

How about just plain chicken as a treat? Homemade soft dog treats? Have you tried fish flavored treats? My dogs go crazy for fish. think just choosing one human food for him, he'll catch on eventually. Dogs like plain chicken but they shouldn't starve themselves for it. xD
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #36 
Sena Hansler

lol maybe... thanks :)
Old 05-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #37 
Pogthefish

chop up a hotdog into 1cm cubes, they love itt.

and always take them outside, at least every few hours, and they will usually go outside, prais them for it. then, they will catch on to going outside and forget they can go inside. you see? and NEVER reprimand them for going inside or they will think you punish them for peeing and just go hide.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #38 
Tikibirds

Sounds like Mr Bubbles - he has a massive cause of anxiety/seperation issues. I can't even take a crap in peace.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #39 
Sena Hansler

well of- .... ....

I let the dog out then got side tracked xD

Vinegar and baking soda are pretty good with killing bacteria, and will it help with the pee smell, which not to me I mean, but to the dog?
Old 05-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #40 
sparkyjoe

I always loved the natural/holistic things for my dog.

Most dogs can NOT resist tripe (the stinky, smelly (usually) cow stomach? But, I have a sensitive stomach and would not risk wet tripe so I got non-smelly, freeze dried tripe treats. The were a *huge* hit!

http://www.amazon.com/Vital-Essentia...7211257&sr=8-3
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote