Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #41 
sparkyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
I got him the wheat, corn and by-product free treats because well....healthy. But noooo I got him bones, but nooo... I got him those "bad for them because they are smoked and coated" bones, and he loved it xD
Naturally!
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #42 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Vinegar and baking soda are pretty good with killing bacteria, and will it help with the pee smell, which not to me I mean, but to the dog?
My sister used baking soda and something else to get rid of a cat pee smell. I'll ask her what it was.
Can you rent a carpet steamer? Some places have them for rent. My mother is such a cleaning fanatic, like OCD about it - that she has a carpet steamer and uses it every time savannah pees on the floor (samoyed with diabetes and BAD arthritis).
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #43 
LittleBettaFish

A good recipe I found online to get rid of cat pee (one of our cats is a compulsive sprayer so our carpet has been peed on everywhere) was vinegar followed up with dishwashing detergent mixed with hydrogen peroxide and then baking soda.

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/urinestainremoval.htm

Don't know how it would work on dog pee but it got most of the smell out of my bedroom when I tried it.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #44 
Sena Hansler

Yeah I have a steamer I also have agreen machine (borrowed) with deorderizer, and cleaner specifically for animal accidents. And a new crate

tripe?? hmm... well one store here you can get stuff like chicken, buffalo bones, beef, etc for dogs - for a decent price.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #45 
sparkyjoe

If I was going to get real ("fresh") tripe I would go to a butcher, not a pet store. Should be MUUUUUCH cheaper!
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #46 
Sena Hansler

we lack a butcher and if we have one it's out of town and more expensive. I like Global Pet Foods :3
Old 05-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #47 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Mmmm, pick some up for yourself if you go. Tripe soup is amazing. <3 I would never feed it to my dogs cause I'd just eat it all.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #48 
Wolfie305

Dogs are like infants. Put them to bed, let them cry, and they'll eventually realize they aren't getting their way and then stop. The more you feed into it, the more he realizes that whining/crying gets him his way. Don't let him get his way.

I advise against pee-pads whole heartedly. Crate train him. Now. Make sure the crate is only big enough for him to turn around in - dogs won't use the bathroom in a space they have to lay in, which teaches him to hold it until he's let outside. If the crate is too big, he'll just pee in a corner and be okay with it. Not what you want.

If you SEE him peeing, IMMEDIATELY pick him up, mid pee, and bring him outside. He will automatically stop when picked up and resume outside, in which you reward him when he's done. If he doesn't like treats, try cheese or peanut butter or carrots.

Because he's not potty trained and still has the bladder of a puppy (and is a small dog), he needs to be treated like a puppy. Bring him outside EVERY two hours - when he does his business, reward him.

Potty training a DOG isn't easy. You have to be there every minute and every second of the day to watch him and catch him before he goes. You need the time.

As someone else mentioned, leave him alone for a small amount of time and slowly increase the amount each day or week. That might help with the anxiety.

Last edited by Wolfie305; 05-16-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #49 
Sena Hansler

thanks wolfie, but like I said he will pee/poop in his crate even if he only has the room to turn around D:
Old 05-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #50 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea, he was kept in a crate for too long. Dogs like that lose their hygenic instincts- he probably had to sit in feces and urine for a really long time in his old home, so it doesn't bug him anymore and he doesn't realize it's gross. It's a common thing for dogs rescued from puppy mills especially.
Every time you get mad at him, he probably thinks you're gonna do whatever his owners did to him... Dogs like this are a patience game, he will change, but he is scarred and it will take time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote