Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #61 
Luimeril

ceaser helped us out with some of our dogs. :V our Collie, though? nope. :I she was a handful, and we eventually had to rehome her after realizing we couldn't handle her. found a collie rescue up in NC, who took her, trained her good, and she was adopted by an elderly couple with a HUGE yard and another collie for her to play with. :B

but, he says you should walk dogs every day, at around the same time, for the same amount of time. since your dog has so many issues, it could help her out, relax her a little. she knows she gets a walk every day at the same time, so she knows what to expect every day. schedules help out with all kinds of issues as well. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #62 
CaseyA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I'm not sure that they don't know they did something wrong.. If my dog throws ups when I'm gone, she acts like she did something wrong when I get home.. She's always all happy and loving, unless she did something while I was gone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia, when you come home and find that pile of vomit do you sigh? I ask because dogs are masters at reading body language. Even something as innocuous as a heavy sigh can cue a dog into your mood. If you usually come in happy (smiling) and calling her name (happy tone of voice) and then spend a moment petting, but when the vomit is on the floor you skip the name calling for a mutter (low tone of voice) and a frown (change of facial posture) and forego petting, the dog will know you're displeased.

Test it out. Next time don't change anything about your voice, posture or routine and see how the dog responds.

Canine behavior and thinking is fascinating. My dog knows we're going to go for a ride long before I pick up the keys and her leash. Something I do consistently before getting ready to leave cues her in that we're going somewhere--I still don't know what I'm doing but she sure does!
CaseyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #63 
CaseyA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
Sena, how long do you walk your dog? many don't agree with his ways, but Dog Whisperer Ceaser Millan says many times the issue can be related to lack of proper exercise. smaller dogs are bundles of energy, and often need longer walks than other breeds. just putting the dog out to run about isn't the same as taking him/her for a good, long, tiring walk. even the other lady from Animal Planet... what was her name? Victoria something, says long walks are good in helping dogs with many different issues.
About feeding: reducing the amount of protein and fats consumed daily can help calm a dog and reduce destructive behaviors. It's very much like candy and toddlers.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #64 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

No, she acts that way before I know anything happened. xD
I always ignore my dogs for a few minutes when I get home, they're too much to put up with if I start acting all happy, my puppy will pee from excitement if I start petting her and stuff right away, so I just wait till she's calmer.
My dogs are like that too, they see me picking up a coat, putting on lip balm, grab the car keys.. They go crazy..
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #65 
CaseyA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
No, she acts that way before I know anything happened. xD
I always ignore my dogs for a few minutes when I get home, they're too much to put up with if I start acting all happy, my puppy will pee from excitement if I start petting her and stuff right away, so I just wait till she's calmer.
My dogs are like that too, they see me picking up a coat, putting on lip balm, grab the car keys.. They go crazy..
Posted via Mobile Device
Wow, I'd love to know what she's cueing on! Perhaps she's one of those rare dogs who understand that a specific substance causes displeasure in the humans.

It seems all I have to do is *think* about getting in the truck and my dog is at the door doing her "going on a ride" dance!
Old 05-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #66 
Sena Hansler

that is what my dad's dog does. We come home and she automatically shows her belly, tail between the legs, then slinks off the first thing we think when we see her like that is "uh oh" same with this little furball ><

huskies are "untrainable"?? o_o isn't it just you have to treat them less like a dog (or in pople's cases, BABIES) and more as wild animals (packs)?

Anyways, I REALLY want to have him stop this pacing. It's literally making me sick/dizzy watching him go back and forth for hours on end >:( Any time he does that I make him lay next to me, so he'll stop!! D: and it isn't "I need to go outside" pacing, which is different (I figured it out), and it isn't "I'm missing a person in my counts" as Dean left this morning, and Gurgi was in his kennel still... Unless he does it due to tension? I mean most dogs I can roll over onto their backs(or sides if they're more comfortable that way) but he is stiffer than a wood board!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #67 
CaseyA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
that is what my dad's dog does. We come home and she automatically shows her belly, tail between the legs, then slinks off the first thing we think when we see her like that is "uh oh" same with this little furball ><

huskies are "untrainable"?? o_o isn't it just you have to treat them less like a dog (or in pople's cases, BABIES) and more as wild animals (packs)?
LOL Oh yeah, one definitely has to take the pack dynamics into account with Siberians. I once read in a book about the breed that every Siberian needs to know there is an alpha/leader in the house. If the dog doesn't recognize an alpha/leader, (s)he will take the position simply out of necessity--and no one wants that, least of all the Sibe! The breed really is very different than the average dog and has to be handled appropriately. But there is no smarter dog anywhere, and each has his/her own distinct personality. I will never have another breed.

If you're on any dog forums ask about training Siberians. Easily 95% of the responses will be some variation of "they're untrainable." Even my VET said it! I took great pleasure in their shock when I took her in for her annual physical at a year old. The entire staff was stunned and I answered a lot of "how did you do it?" questions.

Quote:
Anyways, I REALLY want to have him stop this pacing. It's literally making me sick/dizzy watching him go back and forth for hours on end >:( Any time he does that I make him lay next to me, so he'll stop!! D: and it isn't "I need to go outside" pacing, which is different (I figured it out), and it isn't "I'm missing a person in my counts" as Dean left this morning, and Gurgi was in his kennel still... Unless he does it due to tension? I mean most dogs I can roll over onto their backs(or sides if they're more comfortable that way) but he is stiffer than a wood board!
Oh no, never make him roll over on his back. That's a vulnerable position for a dog and especially for a frightened, stressed out dog. Dogs forced into that position believe they are about to be killed or seriously injured--that's why he's so stiff--and are liable to bite out of literal fear for their lives.

Have you tried sitting in the middle of the floor while he's pacing? Sit and talk to him in a calm voice--doesn't matter what you say, it's the tone of your voice that matters--until he comes to you. Scratch him in his favorite place or give him whatever he loves most, praising him in a higher pitched tone (higher pitch=good, lower pitch=bad.) If he goes back to pacing resume talking in the calm voice until he comes to you. Repeat as often as possible, or until he's no longer going back to pacing.

If you can afford to have a licensed dog behavioralist assess him, I'd do it. Many of them will come to your home and give you advice on how to help him with his specific problems.

Talk to your vet about a mild tranquilizer or sedative to use while you're working on his anxiety and other behaviors. In the meantime, you can use 1-2mg of benadryl per pound of body weight as a sedative. I wouldn't use it for long, but in a pinch it works well.

Remember, he isn't doing these things to drive you crazy. It's the only way he knows of to lessen his stress, feel safe, etc.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #68 
Sena Hansler

Well I never force him. if we're playing, I can do it no problem, because I make it into a game, and letting him see showing his belly doesn't mean he'll "get hurt" He is still NOT on his back I mean. Like ALWAYS stiff!

I won't use drugs on my dog. None.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #69 
Luimeril

my mom's had many different dogs over the course of her life, so i asked her what to do about a dog who paces. she suggested 'keeping him busy". have him doing something all the time, be it playing or walking or whatever. :V
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #70 
Sena Hansler

Okay Well right now he is... -checks- lying under my chair

OH!!!! I figured out a way to unvelcro him Today I'm upstairs, downstairs, outside, inside... Eventually he stops trying to follow me