Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #81 
CaseyA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Just watch with cheaper rawhides. There has been a lot of recalls and issues with them due to less than excellent production practices in China. A few dogs have gotten sick or died due to being fed Chinese produced rawhide.
Any and all rawhide can also cause pancreatitis (serious, sometimes fatal swelling of the pancreas) in dogs that swallow some or all of the rawhide. I generally stay away from rawhide, but if used just be watchful for pancreas issues.
CaseyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #82 
Sena Hansler

He doesn't touch his rawhide bones I'll scrap them
Baby gates... tried it :p silly looking gangly terrier legs and his builidng confidence help him get over the gate and considering MOST dogs will not jump over something that leads to lower or higher levels (stairs) he isn't MOST dogs D: and that is dangerous. So we don't use it xD

Sheldon: I know right? I got tired of him following me... all you hear from downstairs is an exasperated "LEAVE ME ALONG VELCRO DOG!!!" and the little fluff ball bounce up stairs to cling to my boyfriend

I'm going to have him in the crate 2 times a day, when I am home, only for about 10-15 minutes.. Yesterday I had him in there, the door WIDE open and he wouldn't get out he snoozed in there. :p Which is fine. He came out when he wanted to.

Luckily for me his anxiety is MINOR compared to most dogs I've encountered. My dad's dog, would have to have drugs because she injures her teeth, her paws, her nose, damages the crate or the house - hence all these self-inflicted panic wounds x.x

I would love to come home to a home not a horror, a dog not a problem, y'know?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #83 
Sena Hansler

I'm sorry, but obviously IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THE DOG FREAKING PACES!!! Hey, what the heck, GO ON THE COUCH WITHOUT BEING ALLOWED, why not PEE ON THE RUG AGAIN

WHy am I saying this? Because I was trying to get Gurgi to stop pacing, but obviously my boyfriend thinks IT IS OKAY becasue his dad's dog paces all the time. NO IT IS NOT OKAY. He'll do it for HOURS if you let him and that CANNOT be healthy! But hey, not like he's listening to me, and the dog actually likes him more because MY BOYFRIEND is the one making me more frustrated than anything ELSE, and the dog knows I am frustrated, even if it is not directed at him.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #84 
LionCalie

Can I ask a honest question? What were you expecting when you got a horribly abused dog? I'm not judging you, but it does have me wondering. He needs time and patience... you've only had him for like 3 weeks, yes? I would definitely advise you to try your best to not yell at him in any way, especially in frustration. That will not help him to bond with you at all.

I'm worried you have committed to something that you cannot handle. Saving an abused animal can be very rewarding, but the rehabilitation can be more than some people can handle. He has been broken by past abuse.... It will take a lot of time and effort to fix that. I speak from experience. My first horse had been horrifically abused. People said he would kill me and that I should euthanize him. It took 1 year of literally blood, sweat, and tears to get past all his problems.

But you know what? We developed the strongest bond and he became a truly awesome horse.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #85 
Sena Hansler

I'll answer that honestly. YES I knew what I was getting into. YES it IS rewarding, and NO it is something I can handle.

What I thinking I am unable to handle is my boyfriend's lack of realization that this animal needs help, not just SPOILING! Truthfully, if we can't work like a family/team/household FOR this dog I will do what's in the best interest of the dog despite wanting to keep him. It seems like every step forward I make with Gurgi, my boyfriend drags ALL OF US back 5 steps. Right now to avoid any anger, frustration and all that feeling I've got my headphones on and bass melting my brain -.- I let Gurgi pace, as was mentioned before... then I got him to come to me so he'd just lay with me (right now he is pacing for the last half hour!) but my boyfriend despite me telling him OVER AND OVER says IT'S OKAY FOR HIM TO PACE. So you know what? I'm about to go for a walk. By myself. Gurgi got his walks today, but there's nothing else I can do without my boyfriend being an arse and destroying my effort
Old 05-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #86 
Laki

There's nothing you can do for your bf wxcept try to talk to him. While living with my terribly anxious dog I had many a talk with the bf (who constantly got annoyed and shouted) but he needs to realise himself that the dog shouldn't pace for hours. And that there is some really bad things in the dog's head for him to be doing so :( Was he looked at by a vet? Is his pacing neurological or behavioual?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #87 
CaseyA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
I'll answer that honestly. YES I knew what I was getting into. YES it IS rewarding, and NO it is something I can handle.

What I thinking I am unable to handle is my boyfriend's lack of realization that this animal needs help, not just SPOILING! Truthfully, if we can't work like a family/team/household FOR this dog I will do what's in the best interest of the dog despite wanting to keep him. It seems like every step forward I make with Gurgi, my boyfriend drags ALL OF US back 5 steps. Right now to avoid any anger, frustration and all that feeling I've got my headphones on and bass melting my brain -.- I let Gurgi pace, as was mentioned before... then I got him to come to me so he'd just lay with me (right now he is pacing for the last half hour!) but my boyfriend despite me telling him OVER AND OVER says IT'S OKAY FOR HIM TO PACE. So you know what? I'm about to go for a walk. By myself. Gurgi got his walks today, but there's nothing else I can do without my boyfriend being an arse and destroying my effort
Man, that has to be the most frustrating thing! Has your bf had to clean up the poop and pee? Has he had to handle the other behaviors? If not, he has no clue how important it is that he be on board with the treatment plan.

I wish I had the trick to turning obstinate other halves into cooperative helpful members of the family.
CaseyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #88 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Sena we're on the same boat.
For FOUR MONTHS I told my parents that Mocha has to go to puppy school. Just a few weeks ago, their friend that works with dobes told them that she has to go to puppy school. "Olimpia why didn't you tell us before?" I DID. NOW it's valid? What I've been saying for months?! Well FYI it's a little late now.
Urg.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #89 
Sena Hansler

Well the thing is, looking the dog over, his hips are very bony (if he would eat I intend to fatten him a lil :p). I noticed he has been yelping when a part of his tail is touched, not sure where. Since his tail is curly, very possible the kid bent it the wrong way and it's been tender since? I know my old cat who had a bad accident her tail always hurt her :/ I cannot find the tender spot, but he tends to play with his mouth if you touch his tail

And if I can get a picture, tell me what's wrong with the position of his leg/s!! it's bugging me! the only dogs I know who have the weird inturned or out-ward turned feet, is not my dog :/ like bulldogs, for instense because of their low wide stance.

Well yesterday (not at home or in front of the dog) I just kind of ranted at my bf -.- about a few things, and about Gurgi. He realized I knew some things he didn't think I knew, he knew I was P'O'd with cleaning up his friends mess, and P'O'd he cannot get on track for the dog!

I felt a lot less stressed/frustrated when I got home, and he was really upset/ realizing he had to get his act together on ALL levels. The carpet is clean, btw ;)

So now, we can get on track for Gurgi!!

Also, anyone knw some good homemade agility stuff? :) I would start with a wood board for him to step over and get accustomed to. Since he is a terrier (some days a terror ) he has that spunk and obviously he can jump lol. I don't want anything too hard for him because I am not sure if they had his leg broken/fractured/whatnots.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #90 
Sena Hansler

Ewww .... ... :/ Is there a way to discourage peeing in the crate? I left for downtown, only an hour and a half gone - then came home. He peed in the crate... Like you guys have pointed out, because he has been in a crate for so so long in his abusive home, he sees no reason to not defecate/urinate where he lays :( like mill pups... D:

However I made him wait until I said he could come out of the crate, (didn't take too long :) ) and then got him outside immediately... Will letting him out each time we practice using the crate for good, or after he's crated when we leave, help with him learning he can go AFTER he exits the crate??