Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Thinking about animal personalities again....

It's so interesting to me how different types of animals have different capacities for friendliness and/or affection and love. I originally thought mammals were the most affectionate, then birds, then reptiles, then amphibians, then fish. But through my experience....I've been wrong.....

For example, my hamster really couldn't care less whether I'm alive or dead, but my bird thrives on attention....and idk if my betta is capable of love or affection, but he is certainly capable of being friendly with me (at least from my perspective) because he comes right up to the front of the tank when I walk up to it to look at him

Now, I've had frogs, and they don't seem interested in people AT ALL. way less than my fish and a bit less than my hamster.

I've never owned my own reptile but it seems like they are not capable of love...I think some just like being held because we are warm....but i don't know for sure...

What are your thoughts on this subject?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #2 
Laki

Animals raised in captivity are capable of many unnatural behaviors not associated with their species. I don't think I'm wrong to say that dogs make better people than some people!! lol

Cats, I don't know. My cat is the spawn of Satan so I don't believe he thinks much of us half the time.

I think scientifically, some reps and fish are incapable of feeling empathy (which apparantly is the most important emotion for human companionship and why dogs are revered so much)

Not sure about birds, but some parrots have the mentality of a three year old human and that's enough proof for me.

Elephants feel love. Intense love and compassion for their family members.

Dolphins, the only wild animal that well- "mates" for pleasure are intelligent enough to feel love and stuff for each other.

But I'm no biologist. I just love the relationship we have with the pets we keep and love. I have to, to keep a house over this cats head and feed him daily -_- He doesn't care.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #3 
MollyJean

Oh come on, he's never rubbed up against your leg or just mewed at you for no reason? Mine do that all the time. And I know for a fact cats can feel fear, so I don't see why they can't feel pleasure. Miko kitten is scared of storms.. so she comes to sit on my chest or hides in my shirt when it's storming. For comfort, I think, or she would go to the basement like she used to.

Fish... I don't think they can love. love is a human concept. But I do think they can recognize that people are the source of good things, food, clean water, toys and activity. They do live pretty boring lives without us. So even if they can't "love" us, they do appreciate us, in their own way. At least some fish, anyways.. Zebra Danios... are morons. bloody morons.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #4 
betta lover1507

i have snakes, the best one will be boa's and ball pythons :3 we have a female ball python named melissa, and SHE LOVESS ATTENTION, no i mean when someone comes into the room she is in, she gets all excited and starts rubbing her head on the glass and stuff X3 she is sooo adorable!! i snuggle with her all the time, her favorite thing is being around my brothers guitars and necks, since she like the vibration :D she is like a puppy dog, and loves other snakes as well. she even was helping a snake that had mite :3 she would soak in the water and let the water drip on the other snake, though sadly that snake passed away.
she is very lovely, and we call her "the great melissa" XD she doesn't even mess with fish. my brother had a CT betta, and she would just drink the water totally ignoring the betta :\ (our snakes like fish water, i really don't know why) then she does this creepy thing where she'll stare at you for like 20 minutes even though we pet her head, she just doesn't move and stand completely still staring at you am like "uhh, she's scaring me" XP
but snakes do love people as long you give them lots of love and attention, especially if you get them young.
here's a pic of melissa:

betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

It's important to consider that we're looking at this through a captive animal point of view. There is no need to compete, no worries over food, or getting eaten. Animals aren't starving, or terrified. That's when emotions come in play with them. Of course, many a time animals will not show any sort of "magical bond" with people, simply because they are animals, and they don't have to love everyone.

I find stories like "wild lion adopts gazelle fawn" or "wild raven adopts stray kitten" the most interesting. The kitten one, there was a kitten, and basically a raven adopted him. The bird let the kitten follow it, the bird brought food for the kitten, and so on. They still live together happily. The lion one was more a lioness had lost her cubs and ended up catching a baby gazelle and cuddling it non stop. Did not end well, of course the gazelle died of starvation. I think the lioness did this about 3 times, she didn't eat the baby after it had died. A sign of mourning for her own lost cubs perhaps?

Another one, probably one of the most interesting I've read, were stories in my book on African leopards. One involved a young male they were following. He had made one of his first kills: a baboon. The researchers realized that there was a baby baboon still clinging to it's dead mother, only a few hours old at most. The leopard reacted quite oddly... he picked up the baby and cuddled it. When some hyena came by, the leopard took the baby up into a tree. The baby would cling to the leopard, if it ever strayed off the leopard would pick it up again. They slept together through the night, though eventually the baboon succumbed to hypothermia. After that, the leopard left the dead baby alone, and finished eating his kill.
Goes to show, animals do show emotion in the wild. Of course usually there isn't time for feelings in the wild. Though most often for their own kind, we are witness to some strange things sometimes.

Reptiles, I don't know- they're starting to convince me. I still feel the snake acts purely on instinct. Despite some touching videos, I still feel that a large enough snake would consider you a meal, as would a large enough betta. xD

It's an interesting question, especially for believers of evolution. That is our main question in anthropology- where did we come from? What makes us human? Well, if we all evolved from the same roots, then animals must share many of our traits. They've proven this on many an occasion. I don't think there is a definitive line- some cats don't like people, some cats love people. Some people are social, others are on the fringes of what we want to call "human." Know that no human can ever fathom the thoughts, feelings and motivations of another species, for we can't even understand each other at the best of times.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #6 
betta lover1507

Olympia you confused me haha, but i see your point (kinda, lol)
melissa only will eat mice, drink water (sometimes coffee) :P

Last edited by betta lover1507; 05-01-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
It's important to consider that we're looking at this through a captive animal point of view. There is no need to compete, no worries over food, or getting eaten. Animals aren't starving, or terrified. That's when emotions come in play with them. Of course, many a time animals will not show any sort of "magical bond" with people, simply because they are animals, and they don't have to love everyone.

I find stories like "wild lion adopts gazelle fawn" or "wild raven adopts stray kitten" the most interesting. The kitten one, there was a kitten, and basically a raven adopted him. The bird let the kitten follow it, the bird brought food for the kitten, and so on. They still live together happily. The lion one was more a lioness had lost her cubs and ended up catching a baby gazelle and cuddling it non stop. Did not end well, of course the gazelle died of starvation. I think the lioness did this about 3 times, she didn't eat the baby after it had died. A sign of mourning for her own lost cubs perhaps?

Another one, probably one of the most interesting I've read, were stories in my book on African leopards. One involved a young male they were following. He had made one of his first kills: a baboon. The researchers realized that there was a baby baboon still clinging to it's dead mother, only a few hours old at most. The leopard reacted quite oddly... he picked up the baby and cuddled it. When some hyena came by, the leopard took the baby up into a tree. The baby would cling to the leopard, if it ever strayed off the leopard would pick it up again. They slept together through the night, though eventually the baboon succumbed to hypothermia. After that, the leopard left the dead baby alone, and finished eating his kill.
Goes to show, animals do show emotion in the wild. Of course usually there isn't time for feelings in the wild. Though most often for their own kind, we are witness to some strange things sometimes.

Reptiles, I don't know- they're starting to convince me. I still feel the snake acts purely on instinct. Despite some touching videos, I still feel that a large enough snake would consider you a meal, as would a large enough betta. xD

It's an interesting question, especially for believers of evolution. That is our main question in anthropology- where did we come from? What makes us human? Well, if we all evolved from the same roots, then animals must share many of our traits. They've proven this on many an occasion. I don't think there is a definitive line- some cats don't like people, some cats love people. Some people are social, others are on the fringes of what we want to call "human." Know that no human can ever fathom the thoughts, feelings and motivations of another species, for we can't even understand each other at the best of times.
wow...the story about the leopard gave me goosebumps XD.

But I feel my betta may not "love" me, but he definitely likes me :)
Old 05-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #8 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta lover1507 View Post
i have snakes, the best one will be boa's and ball pythons :3 we have a female ball python named melissa, and SHE LOVESS ATTENTION, no i mean when someone comes into the room she is in, she gets all excited and starts rubbing her head on the glass and stuff X3 she is sooo adorable!! i snuggle with her all the time, her favorite thing is being around my brothers guitars and necks, since she like the vibration :D she is like a puppy dog, and loves other snakes as well. she even was helping a snake that had mite :3 she would soak in the water and let the water drip on the other snake, though sadly that snake passed away.
she is very lovely, and we call her "the great melissa" XD she doesn't even mess with fish. my brother had a CT betta, and she would just drink the water totally ignoring the betta :\ (our snakes like fish water, i really don't know why) then she does this creepy thing where she'll stare at you for like 20 minutes even though we pet her head, she just doesn't move and stand completely still staring at you am like "uhh, she's scaring me" XP
but snakes do love people as long you give them lots of love and attention, especially if you get them young.
here's a pic of melissa:

Thats really cool that she's so lovey :)
Old 05-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #9 
Laki

When I replied above, I was mad at Oliver for waking me up and being annoying. He is a sweet cat when he's not bothering me by picking things off my desk, biting my exposed hands and feet while I sleep, and pawing at my bunny for negative attention.

Cats can certainly feel pleasure, they knead blankets and tummies like they did when nursing. It makes them feel good. However, my cat is neutered and has taken to a more.. um. higher sense of pleasure. . He masterbates with blankets o.O (if that's inappropriate to say, delete it mods!) But it's true. I was concerned at first but I was told it's normal with some cats... I still gon' hate on my devilish cat. Don't get me wrong!!!

I seen the video of the leopard and the monkey! It's on youtube. I thought it was female though. Either way, it was incredible to see it protect the baby from the hyena.

I had no idea snakes were like that!! The very first pet expo here someone had a snake and I pet its head and the owner told me not to do that.....
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #10 
betta lover1507

i have a cat that LOVES me o-0 she won't let me sleep or have anytime to my own sometimes
and thanks you, she is my brothers prized possession or something