Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #1 
Hopeseeker

Yay!!! My 10 gallon divided is finally cycled!!!

PH: 7.2
Ammonia: 0ppm
NitrIte: 0ppm
NitrAte: 10ppm
Unfortunately, my well water is still at 40ppm and I've been buying bottled water for the last 2-3 weeks....going to try to double or triple dose Prime into the water to see if it will make it more tolerable for me to use it!
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:37 AM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

What method did you use (fishfood? ammonia?) Did you use seed bacteria? How long did it take? I wonder how many plants it takes to cut that nitrate reading down to <20.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #3 
Hopeseeker

Unfortunately, I had to do fish-in....already had my boys and needed to upgrade.....and I didn't want to leave them in 20 oz clear plastic solo cups. It's been a little over a month. I tested my water regularly and did appropriate water changes. Once I figured out about the well water, I started buying bottled water for my boys. I am now in the process of figuring how many doses of Prime it takes to make it have less nitrates for the well water. I have one gallon with a triple dose and will test it tonight after work. As far as plants, I have some compacta, 2 marimo moss balls, anubias, both kinds of java ferns, and some Argentine sword....I'm starting to think that my Argentine sword doesn't like my aquarium....might have to replace.
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:35 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I don't know much about plants, but all yours, except the sword, are slow growers which probably don't eat much nitrate. You might ask some plant people here for advice in cutting nitrate.

Good luck in your experiment with Prime. You would make a valuable contribution if you'd report your results.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:44 AM   #5 
Sheldon31

Anacharis is a great fast growing plant, I also love Cabomba (sp) and baby tears. Moss balls are brilliant I hear and can't wait to get my own and I'm also a fan of water wysteria.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote