Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #1 
duluoz

Question Mystery illness?

Hey, forum.
I've recently noticed BD is looking sort of ill. At first I figured it was fin rot, but the edges of his fins are looking fine. It's just that some of the webbing-type tissue in his tail and fins have either dissipated or is looking a sort of translucent grey with black spots. He is a CT, if that helps. Anyway, I've started treating him but if any of you have an idea of what I could do better or what it might be, please let me know. I'll try to get pics, but my camera is truly terrible.

Thanks!

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? roughly 80 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Flakes, frozen blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: Above 7, probably. These tests are crazy hard to read.
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The...uhm...webbing?...on his tail and fins have started to become translucent or disappear.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He has clamped fins and doesn't swim as much.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? One of his fins has been weird for a while, but I thought it was just the light. The clamped fins and drop in activity is maybe 5 days old.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Half a tablet of lifeguard all in one and some stress zyme
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He had a fungal thing shortly after I got him.
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea. Got him from PetSmart at the beginning of 2012
duluoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Can you put up pictures? It would be easier to see what kind of disease your talking about. Hope he feels better!!!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #3 
duluoz

Alright, I've got some really poor quality pics. That white-ish area on his fin is where the membrane is becoming translucent. The same thing is happening with his small, side flipper fin type things, except the one on the left is so deteriorated it barely has any membrane left.

It really reminds me of fin rot, without a couple things people usually associate with fin rot. The meds don't seem to be working much, either...maybe I should just be more patient.
duluoz is offline   Reply With Quote