Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #1 
LinkLover

Still don't know what's wrong with Link

Ok, so his fins still look awful, they are getting more ripped and discolored (slowly, but I can tell it's progressing) but he is still eating normally. He has been doing A LOT of bottom swimming the last few days, and more hiding, but the temperature/parameters are all fine. I have no idea what's going on with him. Like I said in my last post, I thought it was fin rot, but his water has always been in good condition. I treated him with AQ salt for about a week, but he was making no progress whatsoever. I have a picture, but it's not very clear. The tail fin is the most torn, but has less discoloration. The anal fin is getting worse, and has small spots of red/black and the white-ish color. The dorsal has the black and white color as well. PLEASE, if anyone has any ideas, let me know. I want to try and treat this before there is nothing I can do.

Name:  linktornfins.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  31.9 KB
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #2 
TheCheese909

Try and get some better pictures if you can, it takes awhile, I know, but if you can then maybe I can help you out. From what I see in the picture above he looks fine with just a slightly torn tail. :\

I suggest taking any plastic plants out of his tank too- i can see one in the picture. Bettas should always be kept with silk or live plants, that may be what is causing his fins to rip.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #3 
LinkLover

That's the only plastic plant that has ever been in the tank, it's in the corner, and it's been there since day one. That's what I thought initially, but he has never had any issues with it before. I can take it out if it's going to make a difference though. I will keep trying to get a picture.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #4 
ZackyBear

Are you sure if it's not fin rot or something? Though the picture is a little blurry I can see a bit of black on the egde of his fins :o
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #5 
LinkLover

Yes he does have black and other discoloration. I'm pretty sure it's not fin rot, it doesn't look like any of the pictures I have seen, and his water is never dirty. Like I said I tried AQ salt but there was no change. He has just slowly been getting worse.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #6 
TheCheese909

I'm sorry, I really don't know what to tell you. If he's flaring at you then he probably doesn't feel too bad. Hopefully someone else can tell you what's wrong with him.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Its really hard to tell by the pic.....

Need more info.....tank size, filter, live plants, water temp, diet/appetite, tank mates, how much and how often are the water changes, additives used, how long have you had him, approx age and what is his tail type...

With the salt treatment-did you Qt and how much salt did you use, water changes any tannins used and type of nutrition.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #8 
LinkLover

He is still eating and everything so I know it's not terrible, I just don't want whatever it is to get to that point. Sorry if I sound rude or anything, I'm just really frustrated that I can't figure this out.

He's in a ten gallon tank, the only live plant is a moss ball, he has a baffled filter, the water is 77 degrees, he eats three or four pellets daily which he is always excited about, I have had him since March 31, don't know how old, he is a veil tail. I did QT and used 1 teaspoon of AQ salt per gallon, 100% change every day, and no tannins.

Last edited by LinkLover; 05-16-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:21 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

If he is not tail/fin biting the tattered fin are most likely due to water movement and possible space-over use of the fins.....often the delicate long fin Betta can have problems keeping fins intact from over use.....

Sometimes its a choice......intact fins or swimming space and filtration-just keep the water quality good to prevent secondary infections and offer quality varied diet to support nutritional needs.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #10 
LinkLover

Ok, and he is definitely NOT biting, I watch very closely for that and have never seen any signs. Would you suggest moving him into a smaller tank with no filter? I have a 2.5 glass tank available (even though it seems SO small, especially compared to the ten gallon) so if you suggest trying that I could.