Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #1 
Liquid

The Cheapskate Betta Fish Setup

I'm trying to make the cheapest possible, yet functional betta habitat. I'm not going to include extremely small tanks, only something I consider suitable.

Tank: Lee's Large Kritter Keeper, 5.2 Gallons ($6.99) - http://www.petmountain.com/product/s...-with-lid.html
Filter: DIY Sponge Filter, 5 Gallons ($1.50) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tsic7qoxMA
Heater: Hydor Theo 25W Submersible Heater ($21.99) - http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-THEO-Sub...7224784&sr=8-2
Total cost: around $30
Liquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #2 
Twilight Storm

You forgot an air pump to run the sponge filter! This filter includes an air pump capable of pumping 20 gallons per hour:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752355

Another bonus is that it comes with an air pump driven filter that you can use as a backup/ or instead of a sponge driven filter. I have 2 of these. You can get an air pump without a filter though. I didn't do any research to see if I could find one cheaper then 10.99 though.

You might be able to find an even larger Sterilite storage box for cheaper. (again no research to back that statement, but sales do happen.)

Sponge filters are awesome but I honestly couldn't watch more then the first bit of the video of a person's stomach. :D

I need to do more research the best sponge to use for a home made sponge filter that will hold the healthiest bacteria colony. The sponge density and size of the sponges bubbles may make a difference down the line.

What you got right now will probably work really well, but like I said I couldn't watch that video so I can't tell you how good that particular sponge filter would work. I use Hydro sponge filters that have a lift tube. You can test how much water a sponge filter moves too. There is a video on youtube that explains how.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKZoXc5pOB8

The method the kid uses works for a pretty good idea on how your setup works :)

Good luck!
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #3 
michael0918

im planning to make a diy filter too. But i d0nt kn0w what's the best media for my biological filter.
michael0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #4 
Bombalurina

Sponge. It has absolutely heaps of surface area and is relatively cheap. :) You can use other things too - plastic bioballs, ceramic rings, Matrix etc - but you won't go wrong with sponge. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:56 AM   #5 
Twilight Storm

All you probably ever wanted to know about sponge filters lol

I couldn't sleep.

I found an article I had found early on when I was deciding on sponge filters. There is a lot of good information in it. They hype Hydro sponge filters, but all the info is fairly general.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts....on.html#sponge
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #6 
DoberMom

I've tried DIY sponge filters in 3 of my tanks and they fell apart within a month or 2. They also developed a thick clear gooey something. It was disgusting and it smelled gross. It wasn't worth it, in my opinion. I gave up and went for real sponge filters that I could buy. I will not go back, nor would I recommend it.
DoberMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #7 
tpocicat

I've got a Hydro sponge filter on my spawning tank and it does very well. The price is very low too.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #8 
Mo

What about decorations? Food? And an air pump?
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #9 
Tikibirds

Clear storage containers make cheap tanks too. You can get like a 6 gallon one for $5. The downside is, they are frosted so they do not offer the clearest view of the fish.

For cheap heaters, I scower Ebay and Amazon.com. If you are patient, you can get one for under $10 for 25 watts

and decor - some of the Asian sellers on ebay have some cool decor for cheap with free shipping. Also sometimes you can find a lot of used aquarium stuff with filter, heater, decor for real cheap
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #10 
Ramble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
Clear storage containers make cheap tanks too. You can get like a 6 gallon one for $5. The downside is, they are frosted so they do not offer the clearest view of the fish.
Actually, my storage containers are clear, so I get a pretty nice view

Last edited by Ramble; 05-17-2012 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Darn autocorrect
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote