Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2012, 01:48 AM   #1 
WitchoftheMoonlitPath

Unhappy New Fish Worries

I'm a new proud betta fish mom and things have been crazy for me since I got my male betta, Starmi, about a week or so ago. My original bowl broke (glass probably only half a gallon, left over from a goldfish) while I was cleaning it and I had to purchase a new bowl on a budget of 20$ plus a plant for the tank. I have an air pump system 1 gal (possibly 2) tank and my betta seemed more active with the larger tank. The water got foggy a day after putting Starmi in it. And then I noticed his color was more purpley (fins) orange (head). He started out navy blue with streaks of purple in his fins. The color change scares me and after reading through this site, I am panicking. I have no heater, only betta bites as food, nor a filter, my tank is too small and I do not have the funds to do more than I already have. I am already attached to this sweet fella, he responds to me already. Just thinking he might die because I do not have everything he might need scares me. Please, someone reassure me I will not kill Starmi if I cannot get everything right away.

I am hoping to use my first paycheck of the summer to buy materials...but I do not know what would be best for my blue veil tail, Starmi and I need to not spend too much. My parents are already questioning what I called a "cheap fish" This was all before I found out about all the care needed for my betta. Help!
WitchoftheMoonlitPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #2 
ZackyBear

Sorry about that. Wrong link >.< I had seen a small heater somewhere on the forum that someone posted that would work (and only $6!)

I'll keep looking.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #3 
ZackyBear

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25W-Glass-Aq...#ht_3024wt_952

Here is mainly what you're looking for. :o a 25W heater~!
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #4 
WitchoftheMoonlitPath

Currently I do not have a glass tank, would this change which heaters I can use?
Old 05-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....take a deep breath and relax......

Lots of different ways to successfully keep this rather tough/forgiving species.

Your 1gal unfiltered container will be fine to keep him long term-provided that you maintain water quality......

In a 1gal unfiltered tank-twice weekly water changes...1-50% water only and 1-100%...be sure and properly acclimate to both temp and chemistry with 100% water changes

You may or may not need a heater, however, its a good idea to have one on hand....your goal is to maintain a somewhat stable water temp in the 76-80F range.

You will need a thermometer to monitor both the tank water temp and the temp of the replacement water used for water changes-you want to try and keep the replacement water within a few degrees of the tank water.

What kind of plant did you get....it is a live plant, if so, what kind of lights are you using.....

Additives-the only chemical additive you need is a dechlorinator if you have chlorine/chloramine in your source water.....

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals is best-if feeding pellet type food its a good idea to have one day of fast or offer live food like mosquito larva if you have access to them in your area...be sure and rinse them before feeding.....

Most important......Have fun and Enjoy your new wet-pet......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #6 
Armani33

First of all the cloudiness is normal I have had my tank for 2 weeks now and it is still a little cloudy but you should have seen it when I first set it up. I have a filter so I let it run a little over 24 hours and then put my betta Armani in and he is perfectly fine. your fish should be okay in the cloudy water and since you don't have filter it may take a little longer to uncloud but I don't really know since I have never had a tank with no filter being this is my first tank haha. No filter for betta fish it fine being they really don't like a lot of current in the water anyway you just have to change the water a little more often like maybe every 4 days instead of once a week or something like that. If you do get a filter get a quiet small one. As far as color changing goes I have no idea why he is doing that. as long as he is eating and swimming normally he should be okay but I hope all goes well for you and starmi. Oh and I don't have a glass tank either I have acrylic I find glass a bit heavy. If you have a light you may not need a heater. My tank light keeps the water plenty warm for armani but you can also get small heaters if you need one. hope this helps.
Armani33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #7 
Danibunkins

Like Oldfishlady said ... take a deep breath and relax.

You can get pretty decent cheap setups from PetCo.

I bought a 2.5g tank for $25. It came with the filter and light. Add gravel to the bottom adds another $4. You can get that decent heater for about $7, and you've got a basic setup.

The only thing you'll need then are your upkeep costs ... water treatment and food.

Just take a deep breath, and remember, that little guy needs you! :)
Danibunkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

Also I am wondering if he is marble bettas. They change colors often. When the betta has the marble gene...they marble all the time..every changing..they can go from one color to another..to white , then back to a color etc...
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #9 
WitchoftheMoonlitPath

Thanks, I think the light distorted his color. I turned it off, and he seems closer to his original coloring. Right now I am looking for a natural light, light bulb to help with color distortions. There is also a possibility that I will be getting a 5 gal tank via my loving brother and craigslist. The tank still does not come with a heater, but might be a little nicer for Starmi....The only problem is fitting a 5 gal tank in my college dorm...Do you think I should stick to my one gal tank?

I also dont know the plant, it was in the fish section at petsmart and no one was really around to help me choose a proper live plant. The packaging says: "umbrella plant, Spathiphy wallisii.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #10 
Danibunkins

The 5g should not be a problem in your dorm, so long as your roommate doesn't have a problem with it.

My 5g fits on the top of my small bookshelf with room to spare.
Danibunkins is offline   Reply With Quote