Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Sadly, your umbrella plant is not aquatic and will slowly rot, die and foul the water...take it back if you can...look for water wisteria, java fern or anubias-these are all low light tolerant plants....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #12 
WitchoftheMoonlitPath

OK, so now I have a 5 gal tank, another betta (adopted), and have plans to get a filtration system and heater....what is a good brand for a smaller gal tank?

Also, is it normal for one betta to flare up at the other? Is my first fish trying to assert dominance? Because after a few hours the adopted fish was not responding. My first betta also has been aggressively trying to get past the temporary divider I set up. I need to make a better fitting one....but is this normal? And will the action stop sooner or later?
WitchoftheMoonlitPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #13 
ANHEL123

It absolutely normal for one betta flare at the other one. And be really careful with divider make sure any of them don't get through it, because they will fight to death.

I would keep one betta in 5 gall and another one in your 1 or 2 gall tank that you have ,until you buy bigger one. I never have 2 bettas in one tank but i believe they will flare all the time when they see each other, which i think will stress them out.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #14 
WitchoftheMoonlitPath

Well, the flaring has toned down a bit, at least the weird one. My original fish is the only one flaring and not as much as he was in the beginning. And my first fish has a pretty large bubble nest. And the second one seems alright.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #15 
ANHEL123

I am glad you adopted another betta :) Are you going to keep 2 bettas in 5 gall tank?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #16 
WitchoftheMoonlitPath

Sadly, it is all I can manage at the moment. I am a college student and I do not have a lot of room to splurge. My very first fish (goldfish) was in a .5 gal tank and I could barely fit that little bowl. But I am hopefully downsizing on what I take to school and I will find a place to keep my precious bettas ^^
Old 05-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #17 
BETTACHKALOVE

Just check your divider make sure there is no tear. I don't know how but i read a few post when betta somehow get through the divider.

Also divider get a lot of algae with time and it not possible to wash it i think, because it falling a part when you do that. So i think with time you will need to change it. I don't know how long you can use it though.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote