Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #1 
Atena

plant care during quarantine?

I have my plants in quarantine for three weeks prior to adding them to the tanks. They are in large soda bottle with the tops cut off. the Hornwort is outside on the portch, it was doing okay, but now is starting to look worse.

The Java Fern I just got and it is in a small water bottle next to the tank. I tied it to a rock using a fine mesh and thread, hoping it will take root on the rock.

Do I need to be doing water changes and if so, how often?

Do I need to ad water conditioner or anything else to the plants while not in the tank with the fish?

How long should a plant be in quarantine before I know it is safe to add to the tank?
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #2 
Pacqui

Those are great questions that I'd like the answers to, as well. As a first time plant owner, I kinda just winged it. I QT'ed mine for only one week and changed the water a couple times, no water conditioner. I had no idea what I was doing but thankfully, my plants were safe.

So for future plant purchases, which I definitely see coming, I would like to know the appropriate QT procedure, too.
Pacqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #3 
Atena

I guess no one knows. :(
Old 05-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atena View Post
I have my plants in quarantine for three weeks prior to adding them to the tanks. They are in large soda bottle with the tops cut off. the Hornwort is outside on the portch, it was doing okay, but now is starting to look worse.

The Java Fern I just got and it is in a small water bottle next to the tank. I tied it to a rock using a fine mesh and thread, hoping it will take root on the rock.

Do I need to be doing water changes and if so, how often?
You can if you want to, but it isn't necessary. The plants aren't producing any bad stuff. :)

Do I need to ad water conditioner or anything else to the plants while not in the tank with the fish?
I would, to be on the safe side. After all, these plants aren't used to growing in chlorinated water.

How long should a plant be in quarantine before I know it is safe to add to the tank?
At least a week. Two if you can wangle it. :)
Hope this helps. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #5 
Atena

Thanks, that is a big help.