Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2012, 01:39 AM   #1 
FishyFishy89

Snails

I'd like your input and experience with these lovely cleaners.

I am currently on the debate. Priority number 1: Get rid of that algae in my tank(brown algae i believe). Priority number 2(isn't something that needs to be done just yet) get that 75 gallon cycled.

Now i'm not sure if the snails will be able to successfully help the 75 gallon cycle. but incase they take over Spike's tank, I've got that one set up and ready to run.

Now my debate is:
Mystery or Malaysian Trumpet?
I've heard Malaysian will reproduce like rabbits and you'll be over run with them. Now my 75 gallon does not yet have a light source. It sits inside the apart and away from all windows. No light can reach it. The dining room light can but i don't think that will be enough light.
It also does not have a full hood so my next worry is brave snails climbing out.

So right now, I just want this algae taken care of. what is your personal experience with either or both snails?
Spike's tank is 5.5 gallons
sponge filter
fluorescent lighting and sunlight access.
no live plants right now(still considering getting one along with the snail this weekend)

Water changes are as follows:
30% weekly
50% with vacuum once a month
will anything have to change with this new pooper?

TYVM
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:46 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

What about trapdoor snails? They are similar to mystery snails in that they are NOT hermaphrodite snails so they won't reproduce unless you have both sexes in your tank. However when they DO reproduce, its just one live snail at a time. They are live bearing snails and do not lay eggs like the mystery snails. They also do not have a lung and therefor will not leave the water. Supposingly mystery snails can leave the water but I have yet to see mine do so.

Trapdoor snails get pretty big though - most people use them in outdoor ponds. They would probably love a 75 gallon tank. They are kinda big so not sure if a 5 gallon would be suitable. If not, i vote apple or mystery snail. Im not sure if a snail would eat enough algae for it to be noticible though...I put some in my sister tank which grows algae like no tomorrow and she still had to use an algae magnet.

The one on the right is a mystery snail, the one on the left is a wild caught trapdoor snail.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 05-25-2012 at 02:52 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:51 AM   #3 
Silverfang

Apples are not the best for algae cleaning. I would suggest a nerite for algae nomming.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #4 
teeneythebetta

Im not familiar with those snails... but i do know nerite snails eat up algae and cannot succcessfully reproduce in fresh water.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #5 
thekinetic

Also the malaysian trumpet is not a good choice either as they're substrate dwellers that burrow into the bottom and crawl around there. They eat left overs in the gravel.

In a 75 gallon if you're not set on a snail I would go with a small group of algae eaters or pleco catfish. Probably 2-3 should do.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #6 
FishyFishy89

I was told nerite snails. however my car is currently in the shop and husband is my only transportation. he doesn't want to drive 30 mins to petco to get the nerite snail where there is a petsmart right next to the grocery store.

thus why i am looking at the other 2 snails i posted
the 75 gallon does not have a lid. so i am not going to be getting any fish(dont want any fishy suicides).
i know MTSs are substrate diggers. i have sand. and i wouldnt mind something helping me stir the sand.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #7 
MaisyDawgThirteen

What are you going to put in a 75 gallon that are not fish? O.o Why don't you just buy a lid?
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #8 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
What are you going to put in a 75 gallon that are not fish? O.o Why don't you just buy a lid?
we are going to buy a lid
we just haven't yet purchased it
i hope to get it really soon
Old 05-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #9 
lillyandquigly

depends on the kind of snail. Generally, my bro(he has 55 gal.)says that plecos are a good way to go if you have a big tank
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:13 PM   #10 
redchigh

common pleco's don't eat as much algae as people give them credit for. If the tank is cycled, Ottos are the best thing to eat diatoms (brown algae). I'll definately reccomend bristlenose plecos though.

Last edited by redchigh; 05-31-2012 at 01:18 PM.
redchigh is offline   Reply With Quote