Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #11 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
Here's a good video showing cleaner wrasse (mind you there's hundreds of species around the wolrld), and cleaner shrimp. There's a shot of shrimp going in a divers mouth.. Though the shrimp crawling into the eel is the coolest.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #12 
betta lover1507

heard about it, our Feet is used all over ground (hey i walk outside barefooted, FUN!!!! :D) and it gets bacteria and really nasty, that ain't good :\

also, fish shouldn't be used for feet treatment, am against it. we used to have a shrimp that LOVED to get on our hands and take off dead skin :D sadly he passed away
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #13 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
It IS natural.. They are cleaner fish (cleaner wrasse specifically I think..).
In the wild it's actually quite a similar situation.. They run their own cleaning stations in reefs.. Large predator fish like groupers know where the cleaner wrasse "nests" are and go there on purpose.. They stand (float) very still, mouths open. The little wrasse will go all over the body picking off parasites and dead flesh, even swimming into the mouth of the large fish.. They never get eaten. It's quite awesome to watch. Both fish win.
Posted via Mobile Device
If they are wrasses, then they are saltwater. When people come in, is the water they put their feet in saltwater?

(coincidentally, my latest issue of Aquarium Fish International has a huge article on symbiotic relationships between fish, including cleaners. :) )
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #14 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea, I think they claim the salt water is food for your feet too.
All the photos I've seen of these spas have the fish in shallow filthy looking pools.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #15 
Sakura8

Poor fish. I mean, at least they put them in the proper type water but still, poor fish.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #16 
Luimeril

this is the fish they're talking about. i can't comment about it, because i've never seen them before. i first heard about a similar fish on VicTorious, the Nick show. they had a "Pooka fish" that was used for "feet smoothening", but was toxic. i then googled it, and found out about these little guys. didn't think much of them, because i didn't know places actually used them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWXo9yOIrfg
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:35 AM   #17 
Sheldon31

Ruffa Garra or something, is the fish used here. I remember seeing them on BNTM when the final was in malaysia and they had to do an advert while having their feet nibbled. I'm going into town on tuesday for my hair cut so I might do some investigating. Ask a few questions and snoop a little. But last time I peeked at it the water was clean and they had food other than the skin off peoples feet. The fish looked healthy and the girl who was working there said she owned fish (not these fish) herself that's why she wanted to work with the Ruffa Garra. I beleive they have to have a separate qualification in it.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:16 AM   #18 
Fabian

I don't think they feed on our skins naturally because if they feed on our skins to survive,won't they starve in the wild?
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #19 
Crowntailed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
I don't think they feed on our skins naturally because if they feed on our skins to survive,won't they starve in the wild?
No they wouldn't, There are a lot of other animals they could feed on, like other fish and other animals that might go in the water. (like a hippo ) The probably feed off other stuff though like stuff off the bottom or stuff off other fish.

I have mixed feelings about it because if the fish are well cared for then i see nothing wrong with it. But if they are liveing in dirty water and are being starved so they will eat people skin then i have a lot of things wrong with it. So it kinda matters what place you go to and what kind of fish they have.
Crowntailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:16 PM   #20 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Okay so first of all I HATE to bring up an old thread but thought everyone here would find it interesting.
I was looking at TFK profiles, and clicked on something called "Doctor Fish", turns out it's garra rufa. Here's part of the profile:
"For treatment of skin diseases, aquarium specimens are not well suited as the skin-feeding behavior fully manifests only under conditions where the food supply is somewhat scarce and unpredictable.
The misleading information perpetrated by those who utilize Garra rufa in profitable ventures is that the Garra rufa actually eat dead skin but this is not strictly true, the filtration systems of tanks that have been analyzed have been shown to capture the skin.
During their activities of foraging they slough off dead skin. They are simply looking for food which in the wild consists of aufwuchs. In both marine and freshwater environments the algae [particularly green algae and diatoms] make up the dominant component of aufwuchs communities. Small crustaceans, rotifers, and protozoans are also commonly found in fresh water and the sea, but insect larvae, oligochaetes and tardigrades are peculiar to freshwater aufwuchs fauna."

Hope that brought some new insight into the topic. ^-^