Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #1 
LuckyBlue

Female fish not eating

I have one female betta, Iris. I have had her for just a couple of weeks. A few days ago she became quieter, sitting in the same spot near the top. She's not interested in eating and it looks like her egg area is bloated. I don't know much about females. Can anyone give me some info?
LuckyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry your Betta isn't doing well...we need more info and a pic...

What size tank, water temp, filter, live plants, how much and how often are the water changes, any tank mates, type of food, additives used and treatments tried, you have had her for about 2weeks-correct and she was fine and eating...etc.....

Any other signs/symptoms- other than lethargic and not eating....like buoyancy issues, clamp fins, color changes, gasping, hiding, flashing, scale sticking out....the bloated area-just the stomach is she pooping.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #3 
LuckyBlue

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta gold pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? just seems distended in the belly/egg area
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? yes... somewhat lethargic and not interested in eating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? have had about 3 weeks

No clamped fins, stays near the top.... doesn't swim away until I touch her.. before I could hardly get near the tank and she'd go nuts swimming around the tank.

any ideas?
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

In a 2gal unfiltered tank I would recommend twice weekly water changes...1-50% water only and 1-100% to maintain water quality...

Right now what I would recommend is to make 50% water change for 2 days and see if this will perk her up-if not she may need a treatment-hold food for 24h-then get on a regular twice weekly water change schedule

If you have access to mosquito larva I would offer several rinsed for 1 meal a day-

Keep us posted.....
Old 05-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #5 
LuckyBlue

I was actually doing a 100% changes every 4/5 days. Unfortunately, I'm not sure she was too well from the start... she was a walmart rescue....I thought she was so pretty. She was my first and only girl.

Also, I did a very stupid thing. Last night, I picked up her two gallon container which I have done several times before without incident. I tried to set it on a stand that I thought would be perfect however the bottom broke away and all the two gallons and gravel .... came rushing out.. along with Iris..

I was able to stand still and look and there she was on the floor appearing uninjured.. scooped her up and got her in some water I had already ready.. the shock may have been too much upon her already unwell condition and she died this morning...................

Number one lesson learned ... Don't pick up any container filled with water ... especially with beloved fish in tow. Seems no matter how old I get I still do stupid unthought out things. I guess you never stop learning.

My other 5 bettas are all doing well. I'm not going to get any more for now and just stick to making sure my others get the best care I can give.

Thanks for the help though....
Old 05-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss....and you know.....stuff happens to all of us and we learn something new every day...or at least we should...I know I do.....

Again, sorry for your loss and she was a lovely lady...I see why you picked her....