Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #1 
Gen2387

Nerite snails questions.

Hi guys, I have a question. I want to get nerite snails for my tank, little algea problems. I asked a question on another post but it's too old now and I haven't got my full answer.
I know I should quarantine my snail.
My questions:
1. How ong should I quarantine?
2. I heard that some people put a little aquarium salt in their quarantine tank to take care of anything that the snail could have... should I do that? If so, what are the salt quantities?
3. I know that nerite snails lay eggs a lot and I don't mind, I just heard they are hard to clean. Anyone has any trick they use?

That's about it. Thanks!
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

1. You should Quarantine the Snail at LEAST 1 week. Up to 2 weeks is better.
2. You should get a Olive Nerite Snail. It is fit for freshwater AND a little salt.
It is 1/2 teaspoon for each gallon.
3. I have not experienced Algae-Eating Snails before. :(
You could probably Siphon it out with a Python Siphon, or a Strong-Current Siphon. If you really want it out, why don't you rake it out with a Plastic Fork, or Something? Just try to rub it out.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #3 
Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen2387 View Post
Hi guys, I have a question. I want to get nerite snails for my tank, little algea problems. I asked a question on another post but it's too old now and I haven't got my full answer.
I know I should quarantine my snail.
My questions:
1. How ong should I quarantine? To prevent diseases that snails can carry. You should quarentine anywhere from 1-3 weeks. Ideally 2 weeks+ to be safest
2. I heard that some people put a little aquarium salt in their quarantine tank to take care of anything that the snail could have... should I do that? If so, what are the salt quantities? Nerites thrive in brackish water, which is a half concentration of salt. Nerites do not need to be placed in water with salt though. So it isn't needed in any way. The concentration depends on how you want to keep the snail. Aquarium Salt will not actually cause brackish, or saltwater though. Only marine salt will give this effect. Aquarium salt can be used to help treat some diseases though
3. I know that nerite snails lay eggs a lot and I don't mind, I just heard they are hard to clean. Anyone has any trick they use? They can lay eggs in a freshwater system. But they cannot form into babies or adults. They will only do this in brackish water. So there is no purpose to removing the eggs from the tank. A razor blade will help clean the eggs off any decorations that it's stuck on.

That's about it. Thanks!
good luck!

Last edited by Mo; 05-19-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote