Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #1 
ttubbs

Question Help with my first tank

hello everyone im new to this i am going to be starting my first aquarium in the next couple weeks but i want to get as much opinions and feedback as possible

i was givin a 20 gallon tank

i was hoping to have a mix of female bettas and and maybe some glofish/zebra fish

is this a safe combination
how many can in go in my 20 gal tank

anything i should know

i wanna hear what everyone has to say thank you all
ttubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

They have Different Temperature Ranges. Betta Fish is 72F at the LEAST. Glofish and/or Danios need 74F maximum. The Danios are schooling fish, and are quite faster than the Female Betta's.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #3 
ttubbs

so if my tank is at 74 exactly would it make them all happy and will they fight i was givin a male betta in a fish bowl i dont like him in it would he be ok to add into the mix or what should i do for him
Old 05-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #4 
ttubbs

and what about an algae eater
Old 05-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #5 
djembekah

i keep my community at about 80. My zebra danios have been just fine. all the websites i've looked at have different ranges though.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #6 
ttubbs

how many other fish can i get if i plan on having 5 female bettas
Old 05-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #7 
flowerslegacy

Hi ttubs - In general, bettas are solitary fish. Sororities can work, but I reccomend doing a lot of research on them before you add them to a tank. My first betta experience was a sorority and it's not a happy memory. Bettas are a special breed of fish and really do have special needs. However, lots of folks on this forum have sorities and they're successful, but they do require research before you jump in. The best scenario for long term success is to purchase sisters that have been raised together. Bettas are fighters by nature and they will fight each other, even in the perfect sorority situation. They can thrive for months and then suddenly turn on each other. The best advice regarding a sorority is to be prepared to separate them into their own tanks if it doesn't work out. In regards to the male, you definately cannot add him to the tank with the females. He needs to stay seperate. He'll kill them.

I'm not an expert on the community tank with other fish, but I've read that cory cats and algea eaters are good. That's the best I can do in that arena. Good luck with your new 20 gal!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:40 AM   #8 
Bombalurina

Since bettas are happiest between 78 and 82, and danios prefer temps under 74, the combination isn't ideal.

Definitely don't mix your male in with either the danios (can be too nippy) or the females (way too violent). I suggest you buy him a Kritter Keeper with a heater for now. :) He'll be happier in there than in a bowl.

Before we can suggest suitable tankmates for a sorority, we need to know your water parameters (pH and hardness). If you don't have test kits for this, your local water authority should be able to tell you. These are important values, as softwater fish will not thrive in hard water, and vice versa.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:39 AM   #9 
ttubbs

thank you all
Old 05-19-2012, 04:13 AM   #10 
ttubbs

i actually dont have it set up yet