Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #1 
AFishTale

Are Kings more agressive?

Are King bettas more aggressive spawners than normals? Like, would a king x regular be dangerous for the smaller fish?
AFishTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #2 
PitGurl

I've read that kings and giants are less agressive but I don't know if thats true. I have a king and he's fairly feisty. You might run in to some spawning issues trying to spawn a king and a normal sized female. Also from what I've read all the spawn from F1 will be normal sized.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #3 
AFishTale

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitGurl View Post
I've read that kings and giants are less agressive but I don't know if thats true. I have a king and he's fairly feisty. You might run in to some spawning issues trying to spawn a king and a normal sized female. Also from what I've read all the spawn from F1 will be normal sized.
Yeah, I read the sticky on them (Regarding f1 size) I ask because I found a king on AB who's color and finnage is stunning IMO. But I don't want to risk my female if more aggression is the case.
AFishTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #4 
Junglist

Kings & Giants can be sometimes aggressive during spawn time cause they can get really picky on size cause the female will get scared cause he might be to big for her. These big guys like it fast and if doesn't go well, it will get kinda ugly. So if you decide to breed Kings bred them to close as size and condition them as long as you think you feel comfortable for your female
Junglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Like regular bettas, some are vicious while others are more docile. A problem with crossing big males to small females is the big "mouth" and weight which may cause severe damage. I have a one - not so vicious, only nipping a few times but manages to kill 3 female in less than a day each (one in less than 5 hours). While another seems always attacking but only leaves slightly shredded fins.... (both king x king spawns)

I advise to use bigger tanks and more than usual hideouts (preferably something you can reduce when they're done). Use chimney/jar for introducing female and leave her until she shows submission before releasing her. Yes she will be bullied but hopefully not too bad. And make sure the male is ready to spawn - not still working on his nest.... he should approach the female more. If he is still working on his nest, he is usually more near his nest.

Try to male the male "slim" and the female "fat" so they can embrace better.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #6 
Curlyfatbottom

Don't know about king but giant seem to be kind of lazy.
Once they're mating
They just roll over n sleep it off
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #7 
betta lover1507

VOG bred giant and a half giant :) i will love to do a giant spawn some day, but am with indjo in this one it depends on the personality of the betta at first, they might be slightly more aggresive, or could be a gentle giant. i had a giant PK girl, she was shy and friendly, loved people. never had a large male :P
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #8 
Tikibirds

I never spawned them but my king girls were alot more docile then the regular bettas.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #9 
Bethydan

My King male is easily the gentlest of all my boys. He just doesn't give a crap about anything.
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #10 
betta lover1507

right now a have a big HMPK girl (suprising, i thought she would be smaller XP) and she is friendly :) most likely there more nicer, but that's just how OUR betta's are not all, am not generalizing
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote