Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2012, 01:33 AM   #1 
craiger75

Talking How I Got Started with Bettas...

Long story short, I've had a bit of a fascination with these fish since I saw the movie "Rumble Fish" back in the early 80s. Last year, I thought I might like to have an aquarium again and keep a Siamese Fighting Fish. I was worried about the expense though, and being able to keep one warm enough in tough Upstate New York winters. so, I put the idea out of my mind.

This past week, I attended my wife's friend's wedding. Sitting in the middle of every table was a glass jar with a fish in each one. Low-and-behold it was a Betta! Well, after several headaches, and over fifty dollars later I finally have my rumble fish!

The idea that they are easy to keep versus what I've read and experienced falls somewhere in-between. But, I really am enjoying it! I guess I have a hobby now, whether I wanted one or not He's a cutie though. I really appreciate getting him, even if I was ready to break the jar over the blushing bride's head after the trips to two different pet stores to get most of what he should have
craiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:05 AM   #2 
SarahandOscar

Welcome!!!! They are fascinating little guys aren't they!! I love the idea of having betta centerpieces although I'd be too worried about intoxicated patrons contaminating the water or even worse introducing another tables betta to their own. I know they are not decoration but if there was a guaranteed safe way to have them be a part of a special day that certainly is a unique idea. I'm thinking the noise, lights and potential intoxicated nonsense wouldn't be ideal though... Do you know what happened to them at the end of the night?? And I'm sure we'd all love to see pics of ur little guy!!
SarahandOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:48 AM   #3 
lelei

To be honest, I would of never done this, if it wasn't for my daughter who convinced someone else to buy her a fish, after she asked me if it was ok, I said sure..didn't have any idea what type of fish..what it needed, how to take care of it..low and behold, 3 or 4 months later, he has become the shining light in our lives, I started with the "Basic" fish bowl when he came home, and then started doing research, and came upon this website, and now I am so glad that one little fish has become a part of our family:) he is amazing lil guy..and my daughter picked him out..and he has taken to us very quickly..and I have upgraded his tank 2x and working on a 3rd..so eventually we can get another betta:)
They are addicting..I love looking at them, and learning more and more about them..I now too have a new hobby, and I love it!!
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:24 AM   #4 
craiger75

SarahandOscar

Not long after asking my wife about his fate, the DJ came on and said they were a gift to whoever had the nearest birthday. The other couple at our table won but were happy to let us have him anyway - lol! So, it worked out well. Fortunately, my wife knew a little bit about them from a roommate that had one in college. She assured me he was fine in his jar, and what an "easy to keep" fish they are - the usual routine they give unsuspecting animal lovers.

A couple of days later - and after some haggling - my wife begrudgingly took me over to the pet store to requisition him some of the necessary supplies. I was relieved to get him out of that jar. At the bottom was this annoying blinking light like the one from Pink Floyd's Pulse cd, if you know the one I'm talking about. That thing is now sitting in pieces on my desk as I write this I'm still shopping around for a bigger tank, but it's much bigger than what he was in and he's zipping around the thing like Speed Racer.

I don't know what happened to the other fish and I probably don't want to know. They did hand out pamphlets about their basic care/needs. Hopefully, at least one person from every table took the time to at least glance over it. Everyone seemed pretty well behaved - more interested in making fools of themselves on the dance floor, or watching everyone else make fools of themselves on the dance floor.

Like my wife said though, "I bet no one else has gone to this much trouble over their bettas." Well, what can I say? I'm a sucker for critters in peril.

Last edited by craiger75; 05-31-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #5 
craiger75

Smile lelei

Yes, they are and you're right this is a great site! I originally thought about getting an aquarium because I thought it might help my insomnia Well... not quite But, it's fascinating stuff and like I said in another post, I've really immersed (no pun intended) myself in aquarium/betta culture the past few days. It's a hobby, an intellectual pursuit, and a responsibility. Not to mention, this little guy is quite a character
Old 06-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Look forward to hearing more about your Betta keeping adventures and seeing pic.....

Enjoy your stay

Be sure and post questions in the proper section for best response.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #7 
lelei

Now all you have to do is post a pic of your lil guy:)
would love to see him.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #8 
finnfinnfriend

Welcome to the forum! :)

I'm confused though...I looked up Rumble Fish and I didn't see anything about a fish in the description....
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #9 
Bethydan

I'm glad I have a hatred of weddings. I can't imagine using a living being as a decoration and then just handing it over to a random person and just not knowing what happens to it later.
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #10 
SarahandOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiger75 View Post

Like my wife said though, "I bet no one else has gone to this much trouble over their bettas." Well, what can I say? I'm a sucker for critters in peril.
haha if you wanna hear about the trouble some have gone to for their fish i'll tell u my story and times it by 5 haha. Na its not troube at all it's wonderful finding the best for my little guys, just frustrating being told incorrect information from pet stores and having to go back week after week as i find out more and more that i was not doing right lol.
Glad your boy has ended up in a caring home. Have you posted a pic of him on here yet?
SarahandOscar is offline   Reply With Quote