Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #1 
Sheldon31

Sheldon's Tank Diary.

I thought I'd document my journey of my new project tank. Will be nice to look back on when I'm done. I will add entries about my new tank project and the odd entry about my current 20g tank :)

My tank

Roughly 10us gallons in volume.
Footprint is 18 inches.
Heated by 50watt thermostat heater.
No filtration as of yet. (no water yet! ha)
Will be doing a fishless cycle with ammonia.

Excited!
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

*subscribed!*
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:30 AM   #3 
XxBettaLoverxX

I will be stalking this, lol

Can't wait so see it evolve and transform into something beautiful, good luck :)
XxBettaLoverxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #4 
Sheldon31

Hello journal and it's readers. Today has been yet another stressful day of constant research into cycling safely and the methods in which I am to use. After reading many guides on both fishless and fish-in cycling I have come across two guides on two sites that appear to be reputable both detailing very indepth, humane methods of fish in cycling. One I am currently reading slowely! With every bit of advice I am doing ferther research.

Unfortunately, household ammonia appears to not be readily available anywhere locally. I've even searched a little ferther afield to the next city but no where there sells it either. It's not something that is used often as we tend to favour ammonia free products for cleaning. (Damn you health and safety!) so the only other cycling methods available to me are the fish food method or the fish in method. Once I've finished reading about the latter I'll begin research into fish food method. Already leaning away from it because of the smell. Smells bother me..

Little update on Mr Molly my rescue fish. He's doing well, him and Kyon seem to be getting along very well indeed. They seem to hang around together a lot. I know they won't school or anything (not that silly) but it's nice to see Kyon has a buddy ;)
Old 05-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

We can't get ammonia here, either. Luckily I've always had established tanks to steal from!
Old 05-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #6 
Sheldon31

I have my established tank to steal some filter media from. So I was going to seed it anyway. How much does seeding actually make a difference though? I've seen people claiming they cycled in a week with a seeded tank using filter media and bacteria in a bottle.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

Well, for my 16 gallon I used plants and substrate (and Stability) from my 5 gallon and only saw a very mini-cycle. But then, I kept on packing plants in so it may have cycled silently. My test kit wasn't super-reliable, so I can't be sure.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #8 
Sheldon31

Hello all! Sand went in today, no plants yet might go to get some tonight and might come home with a new betta. Was debating a nice female instead of a male as they have some beautiful females in pets at home ( they listened to me and put the males away from the females again :D) so I am willing to go there again.

Today I went shopping for fishy bits. My favourite pet shop where I know the owner has got some sera stuff in. Got some toxivec as its apparently the bees knees and some sera flakes, trial pack for 99p! Decided to opt for some activated carbon in my filter too.

Did some water tests today on my tap water after conditioning and ph is 7, ammonia and nitrites are 0 nitrates are 0 too so my tap water is safe as houses. Decided to get a terracotta plant pot as a hiding spot with some leafy plants and might install a gentle air stone. My lps is getting some sera betta pellets in soon too :D
Old 05-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #9 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Cant wait for the transformation!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #10 
Sheldon31

Didn't go to my LFS in the end. Little person not feeling to good so we stayed at home. Might go tomorrow as I want some plants anyway. Other half not happy about fish food method of cycling. He's allergic to bad smells. Few pics.

The set up in my living room right next to my favourite chair :)

Food of choice. Dunno if anyone's used it.

The magic liquid.

Close up with water, heater, filter and sand in. This is a few hours after adding sand and so far it's settled well!

Filtered by Fluval 2 plus internal
Heated by Aqua One Thermosafe 50watt.
PH 7
Temp 28C
Substrate play sand.