Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #1 
dbooknook

Lightbulb Book I'm reading

I am reading this book called Animal Farm by George Orwell. I totally recommend it to any animal rights supporter, or anyone who loves animals(everyone who is on this website). It is about animals on a farm who want revenge on humans for mistreating them. Please do research before you get the book. There is a little violent content.
dbooknook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #2 
fishman12

We read it in school this year. It was actually pretty interesting until we found all the hidden meanings and stuff.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #3 
BeckyFish97

I would reccomend Jon Katz books, they're really good!!!Sorry to jump on the thread!!!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #4 
Mo

I'll truth find that book. It sounds really good
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

You do realise that Animal Farm is a political allegory about capitalism and communism, not a comment on the mistreatment of farm animals, right? It's not about animals wanting revenge - the pigs incite them to rebellion because the pigs want power, then continue to abuse the animals in exactly the way that the farmers did, but claiming that it's for the greater good.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:53 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

I never had to read that one in school.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:13 AM   #7 
Romad
TFK Moderator

You are right Bomba

I first read it in junior high school and then re-read it about 10 years later. It's amazing how much I missed the first time around when I "had" to read it.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #8 
fishman12

My teacher couldn't stop talking about all the stuff in it. But he said basically the same thing every day for 2 weeks.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Thank you Bomba. It has NOTHING to do with animal rights. This book was written way before anyone gave a hoot about farm animal's feelings. Orwell portrayed everyone as animals as a way to hide who he was talking about, and to make things more humorous I think. :D
Each animal symbolizes something.. it is generally thought that Napoleon represents Stalin, ruthless leader of communist Russia. Snowball, the one that got banished is Trotsky. Old Major is a mix of Lenin and the creator of Marxism, Karl Marx, who dreamt of an ideal world that Marxism should provide, though this doesn't ever seem to work out in reality... The scene of the farmer being run out of the farm represents the historical event of the last Czar, Nicholas II, being run out of Russia. Every aspect of the book refers to some aspect of politics, such as Moses the raven, he represents religion, he sticks around when things are good but once the going gets tough just disappears. Each of the battles also represent real events, and when all of the animals start confessing their crimes and getting murdered in front of the crowd actually happened in Russia, to scare people into following Stalin..
The farm Pinchfield represents Nazi Germany, and the farm Foxwood is England and the USA, the capitalists...

Some other good reads include 1984 by George Orwell, which is about a government that takes over every aspect of it's subjects lives, monitoring their every move. It has a pretty tragic end.. Also a Clockwork Orange, probably the most mature novel of the group, would not recommend it to younger peeps, is about a society gone haywire and basically examines whether behavioral modification is an ethical way to deal with crime. My fave of the group as I'm not a huge politics fan. :D
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

I'm just glad I never had to read this sort of thing for school. :p I read 1984 and Animal Farm because I could. Had to read Brave New World for a sci-fi unit in final year, but that was ok. Depressing though - all those books are.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote