Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #41 
Bombalurina

I miss being a kiddiwink again and being able to read all these books for the first time. I first read The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring when I was 7, and I loved it.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #42 
nel3

i love readiing but i must say i really hate this multitasking technology. you check your email, play games, text people, call people, watch video, facebook twitter (not me, i despise all social media) etc all within an hour. i find i cant focus on reading a book for a good solid hour or more. im lucky if i can focus 40 minutes on any given task in my free time. i used to be able to sit down and read for 2-3 hours easily. id fininsh 300-400pg novels in 2-3 days. now im lucky to get an hours reading within 3 days. the worst part is that i want to read the books but i cant shake off the feeling to multitask. listening to music when reading helps.

i read one of the LOTR trillogy books within 3 days another within 4 days. another within a week. i used to be so fast at reading when my contact with computers and technology was a bare minimum ie school stuff. that was when i was in highschool.

i wouldnt be surprised if others have such an easy time focusing on one task when society is bombarded with such large amounts of data and details to distract you every few seconds.

Last edited by nel3; 05-31-2012 at 09:27 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #43 
Sakura8

I agree with you, nel. Too many distractions. And now with e-books on our iPads, it's even easier to get distracted while reading.

Whew, I was afraid I was just getting old and my attention span was going.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:46 AM   #44 
Bombalurina

I've got to say, I love technology. If I want to settle down and do something, I just leave the computer. :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:13 AM   #45 
Sakura8

Leaving the computer is generally where I run into trouble. XD
Old 06-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #46 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I agree with you, nel. Too many distractions. And now with e-books on our iPads, it's even easier to get distracted while reading.

Whew, I was afraid I was just getting old and my attention span was going.
books that require batteries to read are too much for me to even bother with. why must a shelf life of a bettery limit how many hours you can read a book? the Ebooks are just another cash grab, imo crush the Ebook and get a good old fashion book that is printed on paper. i dont mind reading comics online but a book is just too absurd to fathom. imo 1-2 books should be read at any given point. this means they wont take up much space and no one these will readily steal a paperback book over a Ebook given a decent chance.

dont worry Sakura8, its just society as a whole making life too fast paced for such creatures that do best when there arent too many distractions to take care of. i love the computer but its my worst enemy, same goes for the almighty PVR.

lol in the past few months i read one comic in the newspaper. forgot the strip it was in but its was 2 young kids too small for a dining table. they were putting a book on the seat to make them sit higher on the chainr but they were using an Ebook/Ipad.

Last edited by nel3; 06-01-2012 at 08:30 AM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #47 
Sakura8

Oh yes, the computer is definitely my enemy and my best friend all rolled into one expensive bundle. XD
Old 06-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #48 
fishman12

lol Sakura
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #49 
Pasqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
books that require batteries to read are too much for me to even bother with. why must a shelf life of a bettery limit how many hours you can read a book? the Ebooks are just another cash grab, imo crush the Ebook and get a good old fashion book that is printed on paper. i dont mind reading comics online but a book is just too absurd to fathom. imo 1-2 books should be read at any given point. this means they wont take up much space and no one these will readily steal a paperback book over a Ebook given a decent chance.

Ill have to disagree with you there Nel, I have a kindle and absolutely love it! If i really get stuck into reading (i can usually finish a decent sized book within two days if i am enjoying it) then i can read for two solid weeks straight before i need a recharge. and since i am never awake for two weeks straight, i can just plug it in overnight.

i do love the smell of second hand books. and nothing can replace that. but i love being able to have a variety of books on hand without having to take all the books with me lol. i am the sort of person who used to pack five books with me on holidays for my free relaxing time but they get so heavy. and i can pick and choose what i want to read when i feel like it, rather than guessing before hand if i am going away

but yes definately agree that no one has attention spans longer than a fish anymore lol. people are used to distractions. i remember hearing some sort of study where they found that people in an office work environment who did not have email alerts pop up with every email received were significantly more productive (cant remember the exact percentage) than those who did.

i like that comic you mentioned too thats pretty clever =P
when i was a kid i had hundreds of books and used to build towers and forts and stuff out of them.
Pasqua is offline   Reply With Quote