Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #1 
mannyp

Please help. Fin rot? Pics attached.

I really need help here. My Betta I got 6 days ago, his tail suddenly looks totally ragged. See pics below. His behavior seems unchanged so far, he is active and still eating well. He did jump out of his tank today (not sure if its related to the illness) but I put him right back in. Tank was a bit too full anyway. I think its fin rot but I really don't know. Have put in a tiny dosage of Myxazin last 2 days which is supposed to treat fin rot. Please see the before and after pics below and help me if possible. All additional info is in the generic questionnaire below.

What should I do? Continue with the current treatment? How would I know if he is getting better? Will his tail start growing back? When should I stop the treatment? The Myxazin directions say once a day for 5 days.

First picture is when I first got him. Last 3 are after I noticed the rot or whatever it is.

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

Housing
What size is your tank?
2 gallons
What temperature is your tank?
25 degrees
Does your tank have a filter?
No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No
Is your tank heated?
I have a heater but I have removed it as it is summer time.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Betta Flakes, Betta pellets, Blood worms alternating
How often do you feed your betta fish?
Once a day 6 days a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
Partial ever 3 days, full once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
As above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Distinct F water purifier

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
His tail fins are totally ragged now. See pictures
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
Has not really changed.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
2 days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Added Myxazin as I think its fin rot for last 2 days.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
N/A
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Just got him 6 days ago.
Attached Images

mannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #2 
Laki

Hi there :)
1- gorgeous fish!!!
2. I don't know what the medicine is but check the ingredients for tea tree oil and if it has it, stop using it. Tea tree oil can damage the labrynth organ which the betta needs to breathe!
3. It's kind f hard to tell of it's finrot since his tail is already black. Did this change occur overnight or in a matter of hours?? Did it happen after he jumped out of the tank? Or was his tail a bit ragged when you bought him? Finrot usually is a bit slower to advance on the tail if he is in clean water, which means if you bought him and his tail was perfect I'll guess that his tail was bitten by himself due to stress or boredom.

I have seen tail biting at a much worse level though and this doesn't seem bad at all for biting. If you could just give some details on when it occurred??

Looking again at the pics, it does look like tail biting. The first pic is him a few days ago, yes? He could be biting bc of jumping from the tank, lack of hiding places, lack of foliage, or because his tail feels too heavy.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Maybe it's from your Decorations. Plastic Plants and Decorations with Sharp Edges may have torn his Fins. If the Missing Part of the Fins looks like a C, he might be Tail Biting. And for the Medicine, you should have used Aquarium Salt first, before any Type of Medicines. If then the Aquarium Salt doesn't work, use Medicines. I have Discovered that for the Temperature, you put 25 Degrees.
Did you mean 25 Celcius, or Degrees? Degrees would be Too Cold.
Anyways, Beautiful Betta and I hope he recovers soon. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #4 
Laki

25 degrees celcius probably. Which is warm enough, since the op said it's summer :)

1 tsp of aq salt to 1 gallon of water. PRE MIX it before adding it to the fish tank. And make sure it IS aquarium salt from a pet store (I got mine in walmart for 2$) and not regular human salt. Only use it for a max of 10 days. Aq salt won't stop the behaviour but it will stop finrot from setting in.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #5 
Kim

That looks a lot like tail biting to me. The way the chunks are missing and the cleanness of the edges just doesn't spell fin rot at first glance. I'd just keep an eye on it and make sure he has nice clean water to heal- keep an eye out for clear fin regrowth. Also watch his behavior- if you can catch him swimming in circles trying to reach his tail, then you can pretty much confirm it's tail biting.

Of course, if his fin continues to degrade and the edges begin to look blackened or like they are disintegrating, then treating for fin rot will be the best option. Good luck!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #6 
mannyp

Thanks a lot for the quick replies. So to answer all the questions.

1)First off yes its 25 degrees celsius (77 Fahrenheit) if thats too cold, I can put my heater back in. Should I?

2) This is the medicine I used. http://www.waterlife.co.uk/seaquariums/myxazin.htm
Reason why I put it in without checking with you guys first is because the directions on the medication say it can be used to introduce new fish to an aquarium so thought it wouldn't do any harm anyway! Hope its ok!

3)I got him last Sunday (6 days ago) when that first picture was taken. On Wednesday I noticed the jagged tail so put in that medication as I was convinced tail missing = fin rot. He did not behave strangely and only jumped out of the tank once, 2 hours ago but the water level was way too high, almost to the brim anyway so probably my fault there?

4) I am now inclined to believe its tail biting although I have not caught him doing it as his other fins all look normal as can be seen in the picture.

5) As for his tail catching on something, that is a silk plant so its unlikely. Only other thing is the rock, not sure if it could be that but given the shape of that rock, it seems unlikely to me his tail could have torn on that.

Thanks for the advice. I think its tail biting. What do you guys think? Aquarium salt?
mannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #7 
Silverfang

For tailbiting (which it looks like), clean water, you only need salt if you suspect rot. Unless you are closely watching him (my boys have been right beside me when I caught them circling after their tails), you probably won't see the biting in action. One minute they are normal, the next, a chunk of missing fins.

Finding the cause for the biting is the best bet. However that can be alot more complicated than it sounds.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote