Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #1 
Amara

Bad case of fin rot?? He was fine last night! (with pics)

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallon fish bowl
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?No
Is your tank heated? yes, with a non-adjustable heater that keeps your tank between 78 and 80 degrees.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None
Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets (don't remember the name and I don't have the package anymore) and blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly 100% change + rinse gravel, plant and bowl
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin Betta plus. Tap water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No
If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Big chunk of fin missing and jagged edges.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today, he was fine last night!
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, just noticed it.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Don't know but i got him about 6 weeks ago. He's fully grown though.

I'm so worried! My little guy was fine last night and when I turned his light on just now I noticed that!
(sorry for the bad pics, they were taken with my cell phone and Beetlejuice wasn't cooperating)

I'm guessing it's fin rot but can it get THAT bad THAT quickly?? If so, I have to do something now because at this rate, he'll be dead my morning!!

The only thing I can think of is that when I changed his water on Monday, I brought his bowl to the kitchen before taking him out so he got a little agitated when I tried to take him out and he ended up with 2 little pin holes in his fin. I put a little bit of salt in his water and he seemed fine, the holes were gone last night when I checked.

I'll do a water change right now and add salt but I just want to make sure that it is fin rot before I start putting medicine in his tank.

Thanks for your help, He's my first betta and I really like the little guy
Amara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #2 
ZackyBear

That's not fin rot. That's tail biting. You don't need to do the AQ salt treatment :D

Fin rot is more progressive and takes time to do that sort of damage while tail-biting can happen over-night. (There's no way a plastic plant could have caused that kind of ripping unless he got stuck. Plus you would be able to see the tail chunks left in the water. O_o )

He is just letting you know he is either still irritated, or bored.

Last edited by ZackyBear; 05-18-2012 at 01:50 PM.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #3 
Amara

Thanks ZackyBear.
So what do I do now? If he's still irritated by Monday's water change should I wait a bit until I do another one or just change 50% of his water and leave him in there while I do it instead of taking him out and doing a full change? How do I make him stop biting and how long will it take until his fin grows back?

I don't think he's bored, he's a pretty active fish and likes to flare at everything and anything lol. But if he is bored what do I do?
I have a 5 gallon fish tank with 3 balloon mollys not far from him, would putting his bowl next to the tank help keep him entertained or would it stress him out?

Thanks again!
Old 05-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #4 
wystearya

I agree, it does not look like fin rot.

Either tail biting, or maybe he got it caught on something. What kind of decorations do you have in the tank? Anything with a sharp edge? Plastic plants?

Or, maybe there isn't enough for him to do? Tail biting can happen because of boredom.
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #5 
ZackyBear

What you can do is just make sure the water is clean so it doesn't get infected ^.^ Some stress coat will also help.

And try giving him something to be distracted with. It might help with his irritation. Maybe floating something like a bottlecap to see what he does?
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #6 
Amara

Thanks for the tips!

He seems to have stopped, for now anyways.
He does have a plastic plant in his tank but it's very soft and has rounded leaves so I don't think he could have injured himself on it.

I put a water bottle cap in his tank and he is happily attacking it so I guess it'll help with the boredom
Old 05-21-2012, 03:37 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

Welcome to the tail bitters club

They will bite of they are bored, angry, stressed or their fins are too heavy.
If he stops biting, his fins will grow back. Weather he stops or not depends on what is causing him to bite. If its boredom - try rearranging his tank, maybe add a new plant to it? Try putting a small mirror in his tank for a few minutes so he can flare at himself.
If he is doing it for the hell of it, nothing you can do to stop him.

Make sure his water stays clean and if you want you can do the aquarium salt which will help fight off any impending fin rot that may develop. If you do the salt, make 100% daily water changes and do not use aquarium salt for more then 10-14 days. Make sure it's dissolved before you add the fish to it. 1 teaspoon per gallon
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote